Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

VXS, 93 miles on one tank of gas

Took one of my VXS out on the lake yesterday with a full tank of gas, 16 gals after topping off. kept the pace brisk from the mid 40's to mid 50's (GPS) with occational WFO runs for a mile or so at a time. Only very occational, short no wake areas I had to go through in order to have lunch. I hit the low fuel warning at 72 miles and sputtered to a stop at 93 miles on a bone stock machine (had spare fuel tank on board). Took 2.5 hours to do.

I needed this info in that I may be doing a day run to Bimini out the Boca Inlet (62 miles) in the next couple of weeks given good weather (glassy ocean or 1' to 2' max). I've made the trip numerous times on small boats but this will be my first on waverunners. Hopefully a nice high pressure system will set up over the area. I've gone over when the ocean looked like a sheet of glass and you couldn't even tell where the horizon ended and ocean started. Just have to keep checking the weather and conditions. It would be nice if I could maintain a 30 mph avg or more.

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    Thats good to know.......what was the top off when you filled it back up?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by slingshot View Post
    Took one of my VXS out on the lake yesterday with a full tank of gas, 16 gals after topping off. kept the pace brisk from the mid 40's to mid 50's (GPS) with occational WFO runs for a mile or so at a time. Only very occational, short no wake areas I had to go through in order to have lunch. I hit the low fuel warning at 72 miles and sputtered to a stop at 93 miles on a bone stock machine (had spare fuel tank on board). Took 2.5 hours to do.

I needed this info in that I may be doing a day run to Bimini out the Boca Inlet (62 miles) in the next couple of weeks given good weather (glassy ocean or 1' to 2' max). I've made the trip numerous times on small boats but this will be my first on waverunners. Hopefully a nice high pressure system will set up over the area. I've gone over when the ocean looked like a sheet of glass and you couldn't even tell where the horizon ended and ocean started. Just have to keep checking the weather and conditions. It would be nice if I could maintain a 30 mph avg or more.
    That was a good idea. But the ocean will be allot different then a lake.

+1
    That's awesome man. Ever since I got my ECU reflashed I can get up to about 100 miles per tank if I cruise at about 35-40, stay out of boost, and and don't make any WOT passes. With occasional WOT passes and a faster pace I get about 50-70 miles per tank.

Has anyone logged A/F on a stock VXR/VXS? Would be interesting to know what it is across the RPM range on a bone stock one with it being N/A.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 20 feet Boy View Post
    That was a good idea. But the ocean will be allot different then a lake.
    There is a HUGE difference between lake and ocean riding in response to fuel economy....

Hard to say what the top off would have been since I put about 2 gallons in the tank using my spare. Yes, I'm aware that the ocean can be a lot different than the lake on fuel consumption but I'd only go on a flat calm day (happens all the time this time of year). even if it got into 2 to 3 footers I'd doubt that I couldn't make 63 miles. Any bigger seas than that and I'll game off. Plus, if I cruse at 30 to 35 mph I'd imagine my MPG would go up to about 100.

My plan is to head out on an early morning on a flat day. Have a 2.5 gallon spare tank in each ski. If one breaks down, I've got a vice grip to close off the water intake so I can use the other ski to tow with. Of course I'll have two gps' and two hand held vhf if shit goes south. However, that corrador is the most heavely traveled part of the atlantic and Ive made the trip at least 100 times w/o exaggeration.

I've crossed on seas were I could have held the throttle WFO all the way it was so calm.

+1
    I set the cruise control at 35-ish MPH and have gone about the same distance. Right around 95 miles.

I wondered if it was because i never got into the boost???

I went 90 miles on my VXS yesterday with two people on it. Calm river water but on the way back I was riding against a 4 knot current. Ave speed 50 to 60 mph (never went WOT). I will fill it up today or tomorrow to see how much gas I used. As long as it doesn't get too rough this Ski is my favorite. JB

+1
    90 + miles on a ski is damn impressive gas mileage. I get about half that LOL

+1
    Not to change the subject or steel the thread. I went 75 miles with 9 gal of fuel on a xp 720 once. That some good mileages. Had to be towed by a house boat.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information