Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: engine run in

engine run in

hi just had my engine rebuilt and fitted what is the best way to run it in
    thanks

AWA MEMBER
    +1
    Vary the throttle..........do not use synthetic......do not run WOT for at least the first HR......varying the throttle will help load up the rings for proper seating

+1
    wtf you are joking lol finally its only been 18months, warm it up good phil, load the engine whilst turning the bars and varying throttle speeds, give it a few cool downs. good to go after an hr or so. everyone will have different views, just do what you are happiest with does this mean you will be coming on next weekends sale to lakes ride?

+1
    i am doing that at the moment, first warm up have it on the trailer in the water or with a hose. and run it @ idle for 15 minutes, then let it cool down for 45 min.

one tank varrying throttle from 3k to 5k rpms. do this for 15 to 20 min. increments and let it cool down for about 45 min.

one tank should be about 3 hours of run time.

the next tank varry throttle 5k to 7k rpms. with 20 min runs, and let it cool down.
    if you have a PET tach,boost gauge and a AFR gauge those are helpful tools.

Quote Originally Posted by nicjak View Post
    wtf you are joking lol finally its only been 18months, warm it up good phil, load the engine whilst turning the bars and varying throttle speeds, give it a few cool downs. good to go after an hr or so. everyone will have different views, just do what you are happiest with does this mean you will be coming on next weekends sale to lakes ride?
    no nicjak its only been 12 months, dont know if i would want to chance doing a coulple hundred km's for is first ride
    afc

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    the worse thing you can do to a new motor is idle it for a long period, A 4 stroke break in for me is wide open for 15 to 20 seconds then let off the throttle to coast it down do that about 10 times and the motor is ready to go.

+1
    I wish I had a quarter for every time this has been discussed...

SEARCH MAN, SEARCH.

+1
    Do you want a lame duck that burns oil and has a bunch of blowby? Then don't break it in hard..

Modern engines don't need hardly any breakin other than the rings, and you have to have cylinder pressure to seat them, otherwise they burnish.. I "broke in" my FZR in about 30min, and it burns absolutely no oil and runs hard

Hard topic..
    Modern engines not needing break in I think are more because modern engine companies do an initial run in on the motor. Not because of the better precision of the machining. With a rebuild the rings still need to seat, and you still need to vary the throttle while doing so to not flat spot the cam(s). So like everyone, I have an opinion, and it's just that. If it we're mine I would run it under light load varying the revs for the first couple hours and not go over about 5k rpms. After that I would run it harder and go to redline a couple time for the next hour or so. After that, hopefully everything is ok and just have fun.

I would not say the same procedure from a "factory fresh" motor. I think they have done a lot of initial break in already.
    I did a tour when I bought my BMW 335i and they showed us the motors being broken in prior to being installed in the cars!

sorry i should have explained it is a complete new crank case assembly
    thanks

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information