+1

Question Drain plugs - does not drain the hull/bilge?

Hello everyone. I have the 2011 GTI Limited 155, completely stock, ( loving it!! ).

Got a question though:

When I get back from a run in the salt water I rinse the inside of the engine compartment before I apply BRP anti-corrosive lubricate. But that water doesn't seem to want to drain out of the ski.

And I don't think this is an option?? Both my drain plugs are linked only to hoses and a bailer system. Any water in the hull seems to be sucked into two hoses while I'm MOVING. The hoses come from the pump area and lead down into the two drain plugs. So, the drain plugs when unscrewed only release that water which small bailer/sucking devices (which seems to get their initial suction from the pump somehow) sucked up into their hoses. ( I think! - Please correct me if I'm wrong!!)

Basically this system (as far as I can tell from checking the inside of the hull and the BRP Parts catalog diagrams and exploded schematics) consists of just the two hoses coming from the pump area inside the hull to the two drain plugs at the stern of the ski. These drain plugs are always screwed in of course, but I think any water getting into the engine compartment that is not sucked into the hose (ie:when not running - like water from washing the engine compartment in the drive way, etc...) is left in the hull and has no way to get out. ????

Please correct me if I'm wrong. As of right now I think any water that gets into the hull when not moving/powered remains in the hull.

NOTE: I just just poured 4 Liters of water inside the bilge at the stern of the ski. Both plugs are opened (completely unscrewed). Tipped the ski up all the way while on the trailer and not a drop came out!

Thoughts/Comments? What the heck am I missing here?
    Thanks.

I use a old wet/dry shop vac

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by getemkustom View Post
    I use a old wet/dry shop vac

Ok, so I'm not crazy then, right? The drain plugs are actually ONLY part of the automatic bailer (really a simple vacuum siphon system) and not used to drain water from the hull WHILE at rest, but ONLY for when moving. (at least on the GTI 155 2011 limited).

+1
    Two different systems--

Bailer tubes are suction operated. Suction caused by water flowing through pump nozzle. They have a check valve that is supposed to prevent any backflow. Tip from the folks here is to be sure they remain tied up high in the middle to prevent siphoning water back in.

Drain valves on hull are just that-- drains. They also have a balls inside as a check valve. Its possible that goo from inside the hull has stopped them up/jammed the ball. Suggestion-- try backflushing them with a water hose from the outside.
    Ours' check valves appear to work well as we've left the plugs out and rode with them that way

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Piney View Post
    Two different systems--

Bailer tubes are suction operated. Suction caused by water flowing through pump nozzle. They have a check valve that is supposed to prevent any backflow. Tip from the folks here is to be sure they remain tied up high in the middle to prevent siphoning water back in.

Drain valves on hull are just that-- drains. They also have a balls inside as a check valve. Its possible that goo from inside the hull has stopped them up/jammed the ball. Suggestion-- try backflushing them with a water hose from the outside.
    Ours' check valves appear to work well as we've left the plugs out and rode with them that way

+1
    had the same problem, ski had water in it, and tipped it up, no water was going out.
    as my solution, i unscrewed the drain, (2 bolts)
    and inside theres a white ball, it gets stuck time to time in the cone part of it, just shake it to get it to become unstuck.
    also, if you dont feel like removing it every time, try finding something that fits inside the small holes, to poke the ball out (from inside, limited access, so i prefer just to unscrew them off)
    hope i helped.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Piney View Post
    Two different systems--

The 2011 have the siphons plumbed into the drain plugs. Check out the micro fische for "hull accesories"
    They do not have the black box like the older skis.
    I am not saying that the valves in the plugs are not the issue just wanted to confirm the siphon and drain plugs are all one system .

+1
    Thanks for the replies, everyone!

Thread Information