Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

polaris sltx 1050 loosing spark

Hello to all.
    I am trying to help a buddy of mine get his ski going. It is a 1996 polaris sltx 1050. The problem we are having with the thing is it's looseing spark once you accelerate. We started the ski and it idles fine pulled the plug wires one by one to check fire with a spare plug and all was fine until you try to accelerate. Then it starts to fire real slow and will only run about 4200rpm max. Is it possible something is throwing this thing into a safe mode? Or is it more likely to be a ignition component failure?
    Thanks in advance.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by casey View Post
    ... The problem we are having with the thing is it's looseing spark once you accelerate ...
    How did you check it? On the trailer or by riding it?

On the trailer w/water but the problem started while riding at the lake.

+1
    How did you know it looses spark while riding?
    What exactly did the ski do when accelerate?
    Did you accelerate by feathering up or quick full throttle?

I left the ski on the trailer tied down and backed it into the water. Started it up and let it warm up. When you try to accelerate it starts to miss out. I get the same results Weather I feather it or punch it. So I checked each plug wire individualy by pulling the plug wire off, snapping in a new spark plug, starting the machine and grounding the plug to the head. At idle they all fired great but as soon as you accelerate the spark slowed down. And its not like its only fireing every once in a while it has a perfect rythem to it. Its just not fireing for every stroke. It really seems like its hitting a Rev limiter or something.

+1
    Seems you may have a bad stator.
    Check out this write up:
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...rical-Domestic

+1
    Most models do have a limiter at 4200 rpm-the 96 SLTX was a bit different-it will depend on what CDI part # you have in there.
    If it is the limiter-should be either temp or on the 96 with LR54- fuel level.
    The LR54 is in the electrical box.
    Some people have had the MFD (digital display) freak out and trip the limiter.

Disconnect the grey or tan wire from the CDI-leading to the terminal board,to see if it runs better.

Alright I think I'm finally headed in the right direction. After searching for threads and trying everything suggested. I came across something that worked. Apparently there are two grey wires in the electrical box. Unplugging one of them will kill fire and the other disables the limiter. I unplugged the one to the limiter and problem solved. So now I'm going to see about getting another limiter or what ever the darned thing is that I disconnected. But atleast I seem to be moveing forward with tis problem. Also the mfd was freaking out when I hooked the battery back up but I put some dielectric grease on the plug and its working good now but for some reason my hour meter reset.

+1
    So I'm guesing you don't have a 96 CDI.

The limiter circuits work by grounding that grey CDI wire.
    Time to figure out which wire has a ground signal.(tan-pink or MFD)

Cdi has been replaced by PO but not sure of the year. So none of the wires mentioned should be grounded unless something is shorted or you are turning enough rpm to kick the limiter off correct? Just trying to understand the system. I'm not very control or electrical savi. Thanks for the help by the way.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information