Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Jet pump rattle at idle in the water

So I was out riding the Genesis and I noticed when I slowed to idle I had some rattle that seemed to be coming from the jet pump. Sounds just like it does when you start it out of the water. I suspect the splines need some grease. I checked the impeller clearance and its within spec. My neighbors rxp makes that noise out of the water also, I assume this is normal since there is no load on the splines? Suggestions?

+1
    Greasing splines might do the trick. Have you had the pump apart?

Have not pulled it since I got the ski. When I got it, the previous owner just had a new engine installed and it had about 15 hrs on it since the change out. He told me the shop serviced the pump when it was re-installed but you know how that goes... I am going to pull the pump just to make sure everything is good and check bearings and splines. I will just put a new driveshaft in when I take it apart since its the original with 152 hours on it. I think lugs had a new drive shaft for it, I will have to check with him. I will just bend the old one and make a nice impeller removal tool One of these days I will have to make my way up to one of the meets, just didnt work out this time. The military keeps me pretty busy but I am retiring next year.

+1
    Does that ski have a driveshaft that extends from pump, though the thru-hull bearing, and into a coupler on the crankshaft? I'm not familiar with the Genesis models, but I think the MSX skis had a different set up at the thru-hull fittings.

Anyway, if it's the standard style, I'm curious if maybe the shop that did the install didn't get things aligned properly. That would cause premature wear and a rattle.

KJ

It has the thru hull bearing and bonded coupler, the same set-up at your 750/780. I am certian its not an alignment issue, the pump plate has never been removed and its installed at the factory with hard sealant. I would be willing to bet its either just lack of grease or the splines are worn. Will post an update once I take the pump off in the morning.

+1
    But, the pump had to be removed for the engine to be removed and the replacement installed. It could be misaligned if during that process the engine was not realigned, or the original shims were not returned to the proper locations. Alignment involves shimming the engine/bed plate to put the coupler exactly inline with the pump. The pump shoe does not change in alignment nor does the stator, extension, or wedge. The only movable part is the bed plate, that's why the bolt holes are slotted and there are thin shims available to adjust position.

It very well could just be dry splines, but it is definitely worth keeping alignment in mind.

KJ

Thanks for the info KJ. I didnt think of it that way. I think once I get it apart I will be able to tell whats going on. Once you start to apply throddle it goes away and it doesnt do it consistently either.

Banned User
    +1
    if you just pull the jet pump by removing the 4 long bolts there is no need for an alignment. Unless the engine had been removed at some point it should still be ok.

If the engine was out, id suspect the alignment. Even if the shims are in the original spots, the bolt holes have free play in them. Id grease the splines first. If that doesn't fix it, id check the alignment.

+1
    i think his bumpers are missing from his wanted add he posted

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information