Thread: 1994 gtx650

1994 gtx650

Looking at a 94 gtx650 with trailer for $300/best. The seller put a new battery in it, new seat cover, and top end at the beginning of the season. He didnt disable the oil injection system, and last time out it lost power. He thinks the oil injection system failed. I went and checked it today, and there is 240lbs on the front cylinder, 30 on the rear. When I pulled the plugs to check compression, I got a few shots of water/gas mixture out of the cylinders when I cranked it minus plugs. I'm thinking head gasket? So basically even if I got it for $250, it needs a topend and there is no paperwork for either of them. I have an 88 wave runner 500, and its a bit old and slow, and not good at all for more than one person. Looking for a true 2 person machine thats a little more stable/faster and fun. How easy are these to get parts for and work on? Is it worth getting and messing with? Paint and engine compartment are all clean and nice, and it does fire right up and run, just bad with a dead cylinder.

Heres the pics:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by bashr52 View Post
    Looking at a 94 gtx650 with trailer for $300/best. The seller put a new battery in it, new seat cover, and top end at the beginning of the season. He didnt disable the oil injection system, and last time out it lost power. He thinks the oil injection system failed. I went and checked it today, and there is 240lbs on the front cylinder, 30 on the rear. When I pulled the plugs to check compression, I got a few shots of water/gas mixture out of the cylinders when I cranked it minus plugs. I'm thinking head gasket? So basically even if I got it for $250, it needs a topend and there is no paperwork for either of them. I have an 88 wave runner 500, and its a bit old and slow, and not good at all for more than one person. Looking for a true 2 person machine thats a little more stable/faster and fun. How easy are these to get parts for and work on? Is it worth getting and messing with? Paint and engine compartment are all clean and nice, and it does fire right up and run, just bad with a dead cylinder.

Heres the pics:

Something must be up with your gauge there bud, 240lbs...

The two smoke motors don't have any head gaskets, they have o-rings, but no real gasket to blow like often seen on 4 stroke engines. Never really heard of any failures, but it could be possible. It is also possible that the seller rolled it and water flooded the engine. Lots of oil in the cylinders can be a be sign that the crank seals that seal the RV shaft cavity are weeping oil into the crankcase. That can be fairly common as well.

You can buy 657 re-man motors cheap. Look around. Parts are easily available and those motors and are a breeze to wrench on.

Is it worth it? Thats really up to you. I don't know what state you live in, but down here it's a freakin nightmare to legally get a title to something you bought without one, and can cost a fortune.

Sorry typo, I meant around #140+ lbs in the front cylinder. I'm in NY. I just went through getting a trailer registered with no title, thats not a big deal. Not sure how to go about registering a ski with no title though.

Thread Information