98 polaris slxh fuel issue. Im stumped!!!

hello folks. im new to the post but have been using it for many issues regarding my pwcs and found a wealth of good information. after looking for a couple hours now i thought i would finally join the cool kids and ask a question about a ski i just bought. so here we go..im a tattoo artist for the past 16 years now traded one of my clients some work for a 1998 polaris slxh.
    the story behind the ski is that he took it to a guy to have the carbs rebuilt and tuned up as it was being boggy this summer from the holeshot. he also blocked the oil resevior for premixing only.after being rebuilt the mechanic that did it told him that it wasnt running at all. he then took the ski to 321 kawasaki in eldorado ks to have it diagnosed. they told him that it was the cdi that went out. needless to say he didnt want to mess with it and saw an opportunity to get rid of it to me. now after many hours of searching for parts that i figured i needed i went to this board and found answers i needed to this point. the dealer he took it to might be wrong. the cdi box is good as well as the stator, they have been upgraded and seem to fire properly. put a new battery in it this afternoon and what do you know a lil shot of starter fluid and she started and died BUT IT STARTED! after a little more inspection of the unit i came to the conclusion that it is not getting any gas to the carbs. is there some kind of fuel pump somewhere? any ideas where to track down the problem or troubleshoot the lack of gas? thank you for any information. its greatly appreciated.. dan the tat2 man

+1
    There're 2 fuel pumps, they are built in the first (MAG) and last (PTO) carb. The pumps are operated by pulse from crank shaft. The pulse lines maybe old and got clogged up or may be forgotten to hook up (since you mentioned the carbs were rebuilt and not running after) or fuel ON and RETURN lines may have been hooked up backward.

From your story, I'd be very leary about the carb work that guy did. If it were me I would check his works. Here're guides to remove and rebuild the carbs in case you decide to do the checking.
    http://www.shopsbt.com/pdfs/p9001050.pdf
    http://www.shopsbt.com/pdfs/keihincdk2.pdf

Welcome to GH!

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk.

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...tic-Carbureted

May want to go through the carbs yourself with the OEM keihin rebuild kits. You can get them from Jay at Sharps Marine or John at Rock County Jet Ski

+1
    Might be a dumn question, but is the "fuel switch" turned ON ?
    In 98 it's under the hood on the right side.
    Is there fuel in the "water seperater" ?

i turned the gas on and i cracked open the gas cap just to make sure i got airflow coming in. the guy i got the ski from didnt seem to have a lot of confidence in the rebuilder of the carb. i was wondering if the fuel sender in the gas tank has anything to do with it? or maybe a bad petcock? is the anyway to check these things before i tear into it any further?

+1
    With the petcock at ON, you should be able to siphon gas from the ON line behind the carbs, the one that has 'T' barb splitting to first and last carb.

Thread Information