Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

2009 FZS and R&D

I wanted to put together an entry level ski so as not to damage anything Rivas set was ready to race at stage 2 .. My 2009 FZS is entirely R&D after very extensive research the R&D setup is more practical and efficient, while RIVA’s setup seem to be race driven . It was Glenn at R&D who suggested the C1 and R3 This setup is NOT on the website. Installing thes items was not easy your going to need some knowledge about engines ,I had an 1998 seadoo xp ,so this is where I learned the does and don’t of a marine craft ,get a service manual and proper tools sealants and adhesives none of that autozone permatex stuff works expect the tread locker ,the gell will wipe when you put the screw in , a torque wrench is a must one low and one high , Anyway, here is a run down on everything. This kit cost about $2600.00 and I am getting about 77 mph . Oh and I added a oil catch can and sanded the ride plate and intake grate bolt holes (will make pic later) and visablity spray removed and sanded this is not just a top end ski but a all around performer.

Here is what is included in this kit which is doing (76.7mph)

UPDATED SEE BOTTOM OF PAGE (81.2)MPH

R&D R3 ECU Reprogram Service
    R&D C1 Monster Wheel
    R&D Power Core Intake Sleeve & Intercooler CFM kit
    R&D FZR Block Thermostat Kit Cooling Option
    R&D Surge Protector
    R&D Intercooler Cooling Kit
    R&D Aquavein Intake Grate
    R&D Pump Shoe Seal Kit
    R&D Ride Plate
    R&D Anti-cavitation cone
    R&D Sponsons

Stock prop! Tommy free flow , and a filter intake mod and 93 oct

On back order
    R&D VTS Quick Shift Cam Kit
    R&D FZR Pro Comp. Cool Air Filter Kit

Here is the cost and performance gains:
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Stats 3/21/11 (66mph)

66 mph at 7600 rpm Stock, disappointing

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stats 3/28/11 (66mph)

Cheap mods, 66 mph all over the rev limiter ,,cowling removed , Tommy’s- free flow exhaust, removed stock air box added a filter to stock super charger hose ,, she was quick of the throttle stayed on the rev limiter at wot 43 degrees out. Very punchy more mid range power.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Stats 4/11/11 (67mph)

Removed flaps around the pump,” averaging 67 no rev limiter one notch up” ,and neutral position 66mph ,75 degrees ,,same as 3/21 just took flaps off and trimmed it up one notch

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Stats 5/15/11 (69.34mph)

R&D intake grate, ride plate and pump seal kit averaging 69.34 mph easy ,,bumpin 70 easy. Trimming it up made no difference

R&D Adjustable Ride Plate For FZR / FZS $225.95

R&D YAMAHA FZR/FZS AQUAVEIN INTAKE GRATE $199.95

R&D Pump Seal Kit for R&D FZ intake grate $73.45

Sub total $499.35

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Stats 7/18/11 (74.20mph) removed visabilty srpay with a cut off valve (75.24mph)

Powerful mid and topend with some prop spin from the stock prop on take off from a dead stand still no biggy,, note: this is a R3 with a C1

R&D SHO/FZR Surge Protector Kit $274.95

R&D SHO/FZ Power Core Intake Manifold/Intercooler CFM Kit $79.95

R&D ECU R3 Reprogramming Service $749.95

R&D SHO C1 Monster Charger Wheel $429.90

R&D SHO/FZR Intercooler Cooling Kit $131.95

R&D FZR BlockThermostat Kit Cooling Option $119.95

Sub total :$1,786.65

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Stats 8/20/11 (76.7mph)

Arm pulling midrange ,incredible turning almost through me off in the slalom was able to do a U-turn at more than 50 mph with almost no loss in thrust(also did some sanding to the bolt holes on the ride plate and intake grate don’t know if it helped did not test by it self)

R&D FZR/FZS Sponson Kit $356.95

R&D SHO Anti-Cavitation Cone $91.87 

sub total $478.77

UPDATE!!!!

stats 10/03/2011 (81.2mph)

Ok here is the final setup for this project. Added a R&D pro comp filter and riva power cooler with a HKS BOV, could not get the R&D, I was hoping for the R&D because I did not want to screw up my air fuel ratio , but the power cooler rocks out hard almost a 5 mph gain, slams the rpm gauge down the bottom and stays there, the HKS is noisy but operates through out the throttle range..3 RUNS OR MORE AT 81.2MPH trim all the way up while standing up, feet all the way back kind of like a superman while standing,, 1/4 tank 64 degrees water temp about 70..

so here is a list of the total kit and cost as it is right now ,

R&D:R3 ECU Reprogram Service…………………..$795.95
    R&D:C1 Monster Wheel……………………………..$429.90
    R&D:Power Core Intake Sleeve intake mani-upgrade.$29.95
    R&D:FZR Block Thermostat Kit Cooling Option …..$119.95
    R&D:R&D sho/fzr pro comp. cool air filter kit ……..$249.95
    R&D:Aquavein Intake Grate…………………………$199.95
    R&D:Pump Shoe Seal Kit……………………………$73.45
    R&D:Ride Plate……………………………….............$225.95
    R&D:Anti-cavitation cone……………………....………$91.87
    R&D:Sponsons………………………………................$356.95
    Riva fx-sho/fz power cooer Blow off valve kit………$299.95
    Riva:Power cooler kit………………………………........$994.95

Total $3868.77
    greenhulk$3481.89

Tommy free flow………………………………...........$2.00
    Visibility spout removal …………………….............$0.00
    Ride plate intagrate sanding…………………..........$0.00
    Foam inserts and holes cut into side flaring...…..$0.00

Total $3483.89 = 81.2mph
    Last edited by mckma; 10-03-2011 at 06:39 PM.

+1

Last edited by mckma; 10-30-2011 at 12:28 PM. Reason: update

Just relax and enjoy the ride. XLT Chad's Avatar
    +1
    Nice speeds and good info. With the new intake, your speed should increase. It also looks like you and I have the same problem of trying to get too much out of the OEM I/C. A good aftermarket cooler will yield a couple more MPHs.

Don't Know r&d intercooler but you have the Stock One in max and you are losung Speed..Change intercooler , if possible go to the Riva One...

+1
    lol no riva ,,,Thanks malbino but 900.00 is a lot of money for a soda can lol I have done miles of research on intercoolers , cool the air and keep the air pressure up , I think that attention is needed where the problem is and thats the SC. im going to go with the water-cooled sc system and stick with my cfm kit which removed some restrictive oem parts ect. ,,,based on what I know about air systems on cars a pwc IC is to small , all in all my biggest problem is heat soak and maintaining proper engine temps not to cold not to hot , my fzs starts fighting heat soak after 10 to 15 mins after this top end drops mid range picks up ,,so im looking to decrease cabin temps for my intake or suck air directly from outside ,so i would say R&D has done its home work,,, quote me if im wrong facts only please lol

Maybe yoy have a point but you will have to put a betther intercooler....

+1
    Even with the "cfm" kit, you are still handicapped by the OE heat exchanger core. You would see much more noticable gains with a better intercooler than you would with a water cooled housing. This is mainly due to the surface area, and actual efficiency differences. But it would be pretty interesting to run the housing with your setup and measure peak IAT's in comparison to a stock housing with a Riva/JD/Watson intercooler.

Whats that whistling noise? jtskier11's Avatar
    +1
    Water cooled housing cant transfer heat as good as a nicely sized IC can. Sure it will help with heat at its source but with that crap stock IC, your gonna be missing out on alot.

+1
    Sounds like you've done your homework mckma. I'd love to see results on the water cooled SC housing and the stock (but upgraded) IC.

In the end, I would guess you will have a better IC, though. After going a similar route as you with a wheel first then an IC, I would go with the IC first if I had to do it again. My .02.

YAMAHA POWAAAA !!!!! 1_Fast_SHO's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by mckma View Post
    lol no riva ,,,Thanks malbino but 900.00 is a lot of money for a soda can lol I have done miles of research on intercoolers , cool the air and keep the air pressure up , I think that attention is needed where the problem is and thats the SC. im going to go with the water-cooled sc system and stick with my cfm kit which removed some restrictive oem parts ect. ,,,based on what I know about air systems on cars a pwc IC is to small , all in all my biggest problem is heat soak and maintaining proper engine temps not to cold not to hot , my fzs starts fighting heat soak after 10 to 15 mins after this top end drops mid range picks up ,,so im looking to decrease cabin temps for my intake or suck air directly from outside ,so i would say R&D has done its home work,,, quote me if im wrong facts only please lol

You still need an I/C. i have half of your mods and my ski is over your speed, your not going to go any faster w/o the magic word aftermarket INTERCOOLER

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information