96 sl700 dies suddenly... now its no start, no spark, batteries perfect

Hey guys im hoping to get a little guidence, i have a 96 sl700 havnt had it long but its ran perfect the last 2 months with only weekend runs. Heading into the dock ideling after running great for a hour or so, it dies suddenly with no studdering, like you would hit the kill switch. Now its a no start, turns over fine, seems to be no spark. New battery checks out perfect. Just wondering what to check next before i dip into this thing

Thanks

Jared

+1
    Need to get a spark tester and make sure no spark.
    No spark,check cranking volts on red/pur going into CDI and CDI part #.

alright i did a quick check with screw driver couldnt get an arc, picking up a spark tester in the morning to confirm. Cranking it, it stays above 11volts, i only tested it from the battery when cranking so i guess from red/purple would be a better test. I am also getting voltage out of the brown wire leaving the CDI when cranking. I will have to check on the part #

+1
    How many volts on the brown wire makes all the difference.

Be very carefull testing inside of the electrical box with the batterry connected. There are many tests you can preform with your volt/ohm meter for starting problems with a manual and the negative battery cable disconnected. With your proper wiring diagram you can verify voltage comming out your CDI box to the three coils and you can verify voltage coming from your Stator Coil Unit into your CDI but remember to take great caution when working/testing inside the eletrical box when it is hot, you can do great harm to a component very quikly and add to your repair cost substantualy. You may require verification of your Stator Assy is working correctly.
    Obtain a quality electronic volt/ohm meter and the manuals. Good luck and keep us posted with your progrees and fix

ok the CDI box is stamped.... PVL w.germany 105 552.02 electrical box

No spark

the brown wire reads around 7.5v when cranking (battery checks out ok but i hooked up the charger on "start amps" it to ensure, no real change)

Yeah im gonna have to buy a manual i dont think they are online anymore? Sucks i had the whole file couple years ago and lost it when my computer went down... wasnt to worried about it after selling my last sl750 because i never thought i would buy another haha i was wrong! In part thats why i bought the 700, 2 cyclinders are a little easier to figure out!

+1
    http://polarispwcknowledge.shorturl....c-on-the-water
    dig deep.

There is also diag info in the "tech tips and info" section here.

You have the old style -original-non updated ignition system.

Disconnect the black/yellow stripe wire at the CDI(that is from the kill switch)-recheck for spark-
    if still no spark, do the stator tests-chances are good you will need an update kit.

Ok i finally got a chance to pull the engine and i saved up and bought the update kit! Bad news seems to be felt everywhere... One piston has some heavy scores in the piston easily felt on the piston, the wall i couldnt feel anything but still, other piston looks good...(motor ran great prior to a magneto fail) so do i tear into it and replace?i know i should have done a compression test before removal but motor seemed strong and i wasnt thinking about that prior to update kit. Also the impeller housing has a few hot/ flat spots, it did seem to howl when trim was up, i could slightly hear. I guess i will put it back together and check with a feeler gauge. Doesnt help im working out of my small apartment but i dont have much of a choice hah just need some advice on where do i go from here, do i sink the money into it(i have the update kit but could still return)

a few pics here... p.s. looks like the xmas tree wont be coming down for a little while, its working great for my "shop light" hah

http://s1229.photobucket.com/albums/...d4b/?start=all

Thread Information