+1

700 venture blown hose (again), solutions??

hi all my buddy has a 95 wave venture 700.
    the hose that goes from the exhaust manifold elbow to the waterbox blew, again.
    it was a old weak hose i bought used. my original was aslo just old and blew a small hole.
    is there an alternative hose from another model, maybe newer xl700 or wave raider, that also fits?
    or another way to pipe this up so it doesnt blow, it seems to be a weak spot in the exhaust system...
    also any reason i should be looking at that is causing it to blow?
    it sorta blows every 50 hours, so not exactly alarming, but this is the 2nd time, and he has 2 ventures so the other hose is due to blow out also...

+1
    Does it seem like they are getting too hot and breaking down like there isn't enough water flow through the exhaust?

+1
    Exhaust is getting too hot. Clogged down pipe where the water and exhaust mixes. Probably sand. Split the pipe and wash it out. You'll see when you open it up. No other pipe will fit that I know as it has a compound bend. They awful pricey as well. Robbery if you ask me. Good luck.

+1
    down pipe as in,
    the last cast aluminum elbow before the rubber hose that leads to the waterbox?
    could be getting warm , but not really getting hot ,maybe while riding its gtting hotter...?. the hoses just seem so soft and mushy, not hard and rigid like on my seadoos. are they always so soft?
    any tricks to pulling the down pipe and cleaning it out? will i need a new gasket etc?
    sawa post here about making a pvc tube, using an elbow and some pvc pipe, just using rubber couplers on the end...
    is that totally cheesy or a reasonable resolution, i could do it on both skis my buddy has.

check your motor mounts also ..if loose on the mount, you could be tearing those pipes internally then burning out.. The pipes on all my wr's are o/e original and are still solid and plyable.. is it possible ethinol in the fuel is playing a part in their early distruction?

+1
    Just pull the last part of the pipe off where it starts to go down. You may need a gasket, but could get by with some sealer. You'll see the clog right away if it is there. There is a rubber or silocone fitting at the end of the internal pipe that has small outlets that the water exits. This is the most common place of the clog. Also check at all the entrances where a hose meets a metal fitting. Often a small pebble will get caught there partially blocking the flow.

Generally the exhaust couplers are pretty flexible and soft. Not like a 2 inch radiator hose. The problem making one is that the two end of the couplers are different sizes if I remember correctly. Like 2.25 and 2 inch. Also PVC is brittle and wont stand the heat.

I did repair the one I had and so far it is holding. I do have a backup pipe, but too lazy to install it. What I did was take the pipe out and sand down on both sides of the crack to make it rough. Then I use a good gasket sealer and wrapped fiberglass drywall tape along the split. Then feathered gasket sealer out to the edge. After that I used some heat activated electrical tape and wrapped it aournd the length of the pipe and heated to make a good bond. probabaly could have used large piece of shrink tube.

Best to check your water flow and remove any restrictions and then put new pipe on it. It'll last you a while. Band aid fixes generally cost you more in the long run, or will leave you stranded.

Thread Information