Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    SPEED COMES 1/10 @ A TIME SpeedFreeks Racing's Avatar
    +1

Worx Intake Grate

i just wanted to share some pics of the worx intake i just took out of my GTX. over the last few weeks i have been testing both the worx and the R&D to see which one performs the best. my ski is currently running just over 80mph. i do most of my testing for top speeds on flat water, but when we ride we ride we ride the ocean with speeds anywhere from 45mph to 73mph depending on the water.

last week we decided to stay in the bay that goes for about 12miles so the water is fairly flat the hole time. i was seeing speeds form 76 to 80mph depending on the water but sometimes my ski would come unhoohed and i noticed that the worx grate would make a very loud slapping sound at high speed when the ski would come unhooked. it almost sounds like cracking fiberglass but i know it's just the sound of the water slapping into the pump tunnel. the worxs intake grate seems to make a much louder sound than the R&D grate when the ski comes unhooked at high speeds.

so after pulling the worx grate out to install back the R&D grate i noticed the Worx grate was twisted/bent. the first thing i thought of was how loud and hard the water was slapping into the pump tunnel the last time i had the ski out. i would say that the work grate may be a problem for us guys running high speeds if your running a worx grate at high speeds you may want to check it to be sure your safe. the R&D seems to be rock solid and perform better over all.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2686[1].jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	49.6 KB 
ID:	252926   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2685[1].jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	50.5 KB 
ID:	252925   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2688[1].jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	51.2 KB 
ID:	252928   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2687[1].jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	46.2 KB 
ID:	252930   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2684[1].jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	47.9 KB 
ID:	252931  

+1
    Geez. Nice find.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jpeconsult View Post
    Geez. Nice find.

+1
    Just goes to show what type forces are at work underneath the ski and in the tunnel, good catch and good info SpeedFreaks!!

+1
    Good info,i'm running the worx also on my rxt-x ,and running around 80 mph.
    First thing i gonna do is check the intake grate.
    Only problem i have so far is when at wot,and then letting go of the throttle, i really got to hold on,otherwise i get thrown off over the nose.
    When letting off the throttle more gently there is no problem.
    It's a bit dangerous for the inexperencied riders.
    I was thinking of installing the r&d grate ,but i'm afraid to loose speed,but that just a guess.

+1
    Brian(BigdaddyRxp) is running worx grate over 80 for a while now, no problems. Def a good idea to check any grate for imperfections.

+1
    I'm running a moded worx on my rxp. I will pull it and check it out when I get a chance.
    been in the 85 MPH range with no issues.

+1
    i would say the only skis that we may need to worry about with this happening are the Rxp-X, Rxt-X and Rxt because of the larger/longer pump tunnel. i dont think the shorter pump tunnel skis need to worry because the shorter the bars are on the intake grate the stronger it is. the longer bars have more flex and that is why they bent.

along with the worx intake grate bending on my ski last week my pump nozzle also belw off the back of my pump @ 79mph after comming unhooked leaving the 4 tabs and bolts still attached to the pump. the main reason this happend is that i have machined the back of my exit nozzel so that it sits closer to the pump. my theory for doing this is when you add a wedge the nozzle sits back further away from the pump. by maching the back of the nozzle it kinda brings the nozzle back to where it sat with out the wedge insatlled. the same nozzle has been on 2 of my rxp's one that ran 87mph and the other that ran 84mph with no problems at all. this is my first 3 seater so i'm learning as i go. i feel the 3 seater skis maybe pushing more pump pressure than the 2 seaters ski's close to 80mph when comming unhooked...... i feel it maybe because of the heaver hull hitting the water and that the 3 seater hull seems to ride lower in the water that a 2 seater.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2682[1].jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	86.7 KB 
ID:	253003   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2681[1].jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	85.4 KB 
ID:	253004  

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedFreeks Racing View Post
    i would say the only skis that we may need to worry about with this happening are the Rxp-X, Rxt-X and Rxt because of the larger/longer pump tunnel. i dont think the shorter pump tunnel skis need to worry because the shorter the bars are on the intake grate the stronger it is. the longer bars have more flex and that is why they bent.

along with the worx intake grate bending on my ski last week my pump nozzle also belw off the back of my pump @ 79mph after comming unhooked leaving the 4 tabs and bolts still attached to the pump.
    the main reason this happend is that i have machined the back of my exit nozzel so that it sits closer to the pump. my theory for doing this is when you add a wedge the nozzle sits back further away from the pump. by maching the back of the nozzle it kinda brings the nozzle back to where it sat with out the wedge insatlled. the same nozzle has been on 2 of my rxp's one that ran 87mph and the other that ran 84mph with no problems at all. this is my first 3 seater so i'm learning as i go. i feel the 3 seater skis maybe pushing more pump pressure than the 2 seaters ski's close to 80mph when comming unhooked...... i feel it maybe because of the heaver hull hitting the water and that the 3 seater hull seems to ride lower in the water that a 2 seater.
    Holy Shxt BatMan!!!
    What did that fill like when happened??

I assume it dropped the reverse maybe and was hanging on by the linkage on steering or reverse.

+1
    it bucked and went right...... scared the living day lights out of me batman!!! yes, the only thing holding it on was the steering cable. it also ripped the linkage arm off the steering assambley that the steering cable attaches to.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information