Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

2006 RXP won't do more than 6100 RPM

Ok, I Just got an RXP back from family using it. I know of two issues they had while they had it and am trying to figure out where to look to fix this problem. When I got it back it rode slugish. Top speed was about 40MPH and it would not go past 6100 RPM. It would actually be closer to 5800 RPM until I had it up to speed after making a turn (40mph). It has almost no pull to it and can't make a tight corner anymore. Ok heres the background:

1. It is loosing oil so it needs more added each time it is taken out(they took it out several times over a three week time). I told them to only use the seadoo oil but when I got it back I found it overfilled it with standard 4 stroke oil because they couldn't find the Sea-doo oil.

2. One person rode it into some shallow water and hit some rocks. (I think large rocks). They threw down the reverse gate when they noticed it was getting shallow but it was to late. The reverse gate hit and broke off. when I inspected it I found a small dent in the ride plate, about 4 sections of the gel coat chipped off (the larges section was to the fiberglass and was about 4" X 1"), and the prop has some dings in it.

I was able the patch the gel coat and replace the reverse gate before I tried riding it. I think the RPM feels like the SC is not spinning up and think that might be the problem with the RPMs. I was thinking of pulling it to inspect and doing an oil/filter change to the correct oil. Does this sound like a good start?

+1
    Never loan out your ride man!!!! ...not even family...

You will loose rpm's over filling with oil, but I don't think it would cause that drastic of an RPM drop. I would start with a compression test, if your loosing that much oil you've got a problem, try to isolate that issue. Then move onto checking the charger slip, check wear ring/impeller (after beaching)

A combination of issues IMO.

+1
    For starters.... Never loan your shit. Not even to the wife.... Period!

Your wear ring is toast more than likely.... Change that. Also check your prop, probably nicked to shit... How many hours are on the ski?

It is more then likely leaking at one of 2 places if not both.

1. The main seal (behind Impeller) on the SC is leaking causing blow by going back through the engine.
    2. The seals on the back of the SC that seal the shaft to the PTO housing are bad and you are leaking oil there out of the PTO.

You need a serious overhaul... Change the plugs while you are there.

4. +1 by:

I did comps and they are still the same as when I bought it ~ 135psi. The oil leak was a special feature that the seller did not disclose to me when I bought it a year ago but other than having to added some oil before riding has not had any effect on the performance.(Well outside of someone adding the wrong type of oil.) I was hoping to address the oil issue after the end of this season. the PWC has 100 hrs on it. As for the prop and the ring. The prop is dinged up and the wear ring looks like it was damaged a little too.

+1
    That charger needs a rebuild. The seal is probably leaking as well as the o-rings. That should fix your oil problem. I have an OEM prop in good condition that I could sell you if you wanted. Let me know.

+1
    Did the ski ever loose any S/C clutch washers? I notice your sig says it has a new sc with metal washers

+1
    Sounds like the supercharger isn't boosting anymore. Pull it and check for washer failure or a touch down. Pull your supercharger and throttle body hoses and check for oil. If you have oil in the hose to the throttle body you most likely have a bad supercharger seal. You will need to flush the hoses, throttle body, intake manifold and intercooler.

+1
    I would check the slip on the Scer and clutches to see were its at and then have it rebuilt seeing your at 100 hours...Ill bet the slip has fallen off or you lost the clutch washers and your not up to full boost, or if it had ceramics and you added conventional oil you could be loosing slip there,clutches dont like oil that is not JASO MA rated...As far as the oil goes,first place i would look is the PTO bearing and boot.these are known for leaking and even getting holes in the boots...As far as the pump area goes,now that you have a couiple of chipped sharks teeth youll need to grind them all out flat with the pump shoe..leaving them in like that will cause cavatation and will hurt your performance..also a new wear ring may be in order and possibly a prop depending on damage..
    Last edited by Snoman; 09-13-2011 at 05:58 PM.

I bought it after it lost a SC. They installed a new one and new washers. I also replaced the seal with a viton one when I looked at it when I first bought it. I hope to pull it out again and check it this weekend. I am still a bit new to this so I apologize for asking but where is the PTO bearing and boot at?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Steveard View Post
    I bought it after it lost a SC. They installed a new one and new washers. I also replaced the seal with a viton one when I looked at it when I first bought it. I hope to pull it out again and check it this weekend. I am still a bit new to this so I apologize for asking but where is the PTO bearing and boot at?
    No need to appoligize,thats what this forum is about...As far as the PTO seal and boot,it is located on the back of the block were the driveshaft enters,it will be a black rubber flex boot with a bearing/seal clamped inside..

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information