Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

00 xl1200 ltd found small amount of metal in the cyl ???

I picked up my first ski today, it did not run so yes it was cheap. I was able to get it to kick over and then I took the exhaust off (to see if It had the D plate which it does) I noticed small bits of metal close to the forward cyl (#1 ?) so I took the head off and found the same small pieces on top of the piston and the cyl wall is slightly scratched on the power valve side. Any idea what this metal could be ?? Ring ?? I opened up two of the power valve covers to see if waveeaters were installed but it does not look like it could the valve have dropped just a little to take out a ring ?? Can I get away with just replaceing the one cyl and rings or should I do a complete top end ? The motor was said to be a rebuild last year but they all say that 200 hrs on the gauge.

While I am at it does any one have a service book they would sell me or have a PDF form I am not sure how to remove the power valves so I would like to get a manual.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry for the long description but this is my first ski and I am trying to see what I will need to do in order to ride it before the lakes freeze

I would gues you caught a ring if it doesn't show any other issues. What is the compresion for the cylinders? As for a rebuild I would just do the one if the others have good compresion and look good.

+1
    http://www.cajundude.com/techpagehome.htm

this website is awesome when starting out. cheers

Thanks guys, I am trying to figure out how it broke the ring though, the engine is supposed to be a rebuild and I believe it is because it has a different type of holder for the power valve it looks like the waveeater clips will not fit over the block that holds the pin rather it has a special block that will not let the pin come out.(wow did that make any sense). My other problem is that I never checked the compression (rookie mistake) before I pulled the head because once I saw the metal bits I just started tearing into it. Is the instructions any where on how to remove the cyl I have never done an engine with power valve and I am a little gun shy to try it without at least some pics. I guess I am going to have to splurge and buy a manual.

Any reccomendations on rings ? OEM or ?? also where is a good source for parts for these xl1200 ltd for gaskets pistons aftermarket etc.

Any help or directions would be great.

+1
    what do the pieces of metal look like. u might have thrown a rod bearing and the pieces might come up port holes.

+1
    also where are you located, i have 2 cylinders without powervalves with matching pistons in good condition can let go for 275 each plus shipping.

Dont tell me that I am hoping for the best and it is only a ring I will know tomorrow when I attempt to pull the cylinder. I am in WA state My cyl are with pv so I do not think your cyl will work ?

+1
    I ran into the same problem when I tried to install my waveeater clips on a rebuilt motor from SBT. The block that holds the powervalve was too wide. SBT said that was their version of a waveeater clip. You said you had a rebuilt motor, maybe it was from SBT? The previous owner should know and it should say on the engine (might be hard to see). The only reason I am mentioning this is that SBT has a 1 or 2 year no fault warranty. So you might have a free rebuild coming your way if their warranty transfers owners. Hope that helps.

+1
    sorry for that. its is possible that you have an sbt rebuilt. also to clarify i meant i have 2 66v powervalve cylinders with matching pistons but have sold the powervalves that were inside.

+1
    chances are it blew up, they spent a bunch of money and put a sbt motor in it and it blew up again. It needs another rebuild , and rebuild the carbs because at those hours it was probably never done and could be the cause of it blowing up.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information