Thread: rear seals

rear seals

i have a 95 raider 1100. just recently i purchased a lower end from someone. new piston kit the raider ran fine. bout ten hours later the rear seals had blew out cause no vvaccuum sloowing engine to run poorly. well i removed engine and placed two new seals in and install tha red loctite torqued and everything coorrectly. now 10 hours later once again i can see a small portion of the rear seal showing. everything is stock accept some boyenseen reeds and a primer kit. could it b backfiring or a warped crankshaft? any assistance would be great removing engine over and over gets old lol
    thanks
    j

+1
    Are you using OEM seals or aftermarket?
    Using OEM seals and putting a little sealer in the the grooves will help hold them in.

these are aftermarket that i got in now. just put them in literally 10 hours on them. i used loctite red flange or case sealer on my case halves and ran a thin coat around my seals hopin to hold them in! what type of sealer would u consider? also will it hurt to ride it until those seals wear out? also you think priming too much mayb something to keep in mind?

+1
    Is your engine back firing? Tha is an indication of an air leak and will cause all kinds of issues.

how should i go about resolving the issue? replace all of my carb.gaskets and reed case gasket? also priming too much also cause it to backfire? when i do replace the seals will oem seals hold up better? i really do appreciate all the help...keep me from pulling my hair out!

+1
    Oem seals will hold up better. Over priming might cause a backfire, which can blow out seals. don't ride it with blown seals. Its a big air leak can cause a lean seize/meltdown.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by tillerytime View Post
    how should i go about resolving the issue? replace all of my carb.gaskets and reed case gasket? also priming too much also cause it to backfire? when i do replace the seals will oem seals hold up better? i really do appreciate all the help...keep me from pulling my hair out!
    you need to pressure test your motor look for threads on this

+1
    Did you install them correctly....the OEM manual shows one seal the wrong way....FYI

m

It may be possible that your crank may not be true, this causing an out of round condition and walking those seals out thru vibration.. you may need to have it checked...I only use 1211 on my case halfs when installing the crank and 'yellow/green' bearing/seal set permatex on the seals...any thing else IMHO may not squish out the machined surfaces and cause the cases to not fit flush.( loose fit seals and bearings). .as MPEAVLER stated some manuals show the one seal installed wrong..
    too much priming shouldnt affect the seals unless you are getting a back fire over pressure which would indicate a defective reed, reed seat or vac leak

thanks everyone for your input very helpful!

Thread Information