Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Picked up rebuilt 1995 SLT750, opinions?

So I picked up a 1995 slt 750 that was completely rebuilt in 2004 and has sat in garage since then. Repair invoice was around $4000 and included rebuilt motor, fuel pump, oil pump, carburetors, fuel system flush, and just about everything else you can think of.

I have been doing my research on this forum (what a great resource!) and am just looking for some opinions on how to go forward with this ski. Should I just enjoy it as is since everything is new or should I do the triple fuel pump and pre-mix conversion now?

Looks like the shop just rebuilt everything to factory with the same fuel pump, etc. I am still concerned that everything has been sitting for so long that there could be issues. Thanks for your help!

+1
    Id suggest the triple fuel pump, and replace the fuel lines. including those in the tank. you wouldnt want to run a newbuilt engine lean and burn up a cylinder! also as many others have said, the oil system is very reliable why do you want to go pre-mix?

Banned User
    +1
    Skip the Pre Mix , especially if its just a rec ski. Check the oil lines and replace as necessary. Definitely the fuel pump. If the engine was properly fogged you should be fine.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    I'm going against the grain here, and say run it.

The single outlet fuel pump worked fine for many years, it's only when it gets old/tired/worn that you develop issues.

If it bothers you that much, get the triple. It's not that expensive.

Pay close attention to the oil hoses, looking for kinks, bends, cracks, brittleness, loose/missing clamps, etc..

Also address the petcock, or fuel shut off valve. The internal rubber starts to swell and restricts fuel flow.

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by xlint89 View Post
    I'm going against the grain here, and say run it.

The single outlet fuel pump worked fine for many years, it's only when it gets old/tired/worn that you develop issues.

If it bothers you that much, get the triple. It's not that expensive.

Pay close attention to the oil hoses, looking for kinks, bends, cracks, brittleness, loose/missing clamps, etc..

Also address the petcock, or fuel shut off valve. The internal rubber starts to swell and restricts fuel flow.
    Good advice

Quote Originally Posted by Drkvampire2001 View Post
    Id suggest the triple fuel pump, and replace the fuel lines. including those in the tank. you wouldnt want to run a newbuilt engine lean and burn up a cylinder! also as many others have said, the oil system is very reliable why do you want to go pre-mix?
    While researching, i came across quite a bit of talk about going pre-mix. Guess there is concern about either the oil pump failing or oil line issues and no way to know before it is too late. How reliable are the pumps? Is there anyway to tell when it needs to be replaced/rebuilt?

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Oil pumps are reliable. The cheap oil hoses and clamps are NOT

Banned User
    +1
    Replace the lines and then keep an eye on them......

Should I do the triple pump or get the supplemental fuel pump kit (see link)?

http://www.shopsbt.com/jetski/35-301.html

Just curious, but how many hours before the fuel pump starts to weaken and possibly damage engine?

+1
    If you're going to upgrade it the triple output pumps can be had for around $30 and IMO is the better way to go. I'd also recommend replacing the fuel select valve and checking the in-tank lines if your ski has them. I know the 94's had clear lines that ran into the tank that over time get brittle and break.

EDIT: Might also be a good idea to check piston wash. There are a number of good threads on it here.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information