+1

Need quick anser 04 FXHO Can you rebuild?

Just wanting to know if the block can be bored, honed, or sleeved etc. Or is it nikasil? Looking at buying one with low compression in one cylinder. I know it could be the valves but worst case scenario, it might be the cylinder. What would be my options? Any service manuals on here for this ski?
    Thanks
    Joe

+1
    You can rebuild. Their not nicky'd. Manuals in sticky section above.

sbt, la sleeve, and advanced sleeve sells sleeves for them. id asume they could have the oem liners bored and honed but no pistons available oem for them. sure there is aftermarket. but none in stock compression. they are either 10:1 for boost or 12:1 - 13:1 for n/a.
    the dead hole is most likely valve or head related. other tests can be done to verify this without taking it apart too much. one is pressurize the cylinder and listen to exhaust or intake for air leak. can even use smoke from a cigarette to see if there is air movement from intake or exhaust. if its a bad piston or cylinder and not leaking past the valves you will get air movement in the crankcase.
    just something to look at if deciding to purchase.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunna View Post
    You can rebuild. Their not nicky'd. Manuals in sticky section above.
    As far as I am aware, 140 is steel bore, 160 is nikasil.

+1
    Yea, I gotten both answers, I'll find out for sure tomorrow. I'm in the process of pulling the head. I'm trying to do it with the engine still in the ski. Looks like I'lll have to pull the engine to get the head off though. The oil tank needs to come off to get to the the back two head bolts, well the two bolts are basically on the back where the timing chain housing is and they're not accessible until the oil tank is removed. Anyone know another way without pulling the entire engine?

prety much have to pull the engine. not that dificult. major pain is getting the exhaust off. or if leaving it all together getting to the engine mount bolts with the exhaust still on. its doable. you will have to remove the left side exhaust and the oil filter. there isn't too many water hoses, and just unbolt the electrical box and remove it with the engine.
    and it is true 140 is thin iron bores and fx ho and vx110 are plated bores. oh, and keep your wrist pins they are discontinued from yamaha.

+1
    All right. Picked this ski up for cheap. Good compression an 1,2,and 4. #3 cylinder had no compression. Put oil in cylinder, no change, suspect the valves. Pulled the engine, and the head. Doesnt look like the intake valves were closing. Someone had been in the engine recently and looks like its had water in the #3 cylinder at some time or another(rusted valve tops). Cylinder looks OK except for some fairly deep scratches on the exhaust side. I cant tell if the cylinders are nicked or not, but they are extremely magnetic, leads me to believe they are sleeved. But from what I've read, they should be nikasil. I have seen sleeves on ebay that are suppose to be for the FX140 and the FX HO. Anyone know if these engines can be sleeved? Just trying to figure out my options other that a SBT rebuilt engine.

Thread Information