2001 Virage tx shaving head

I just bought a 2001 Virage tx it is a 1200 triple and I would like to shave the head to get just a little more out of it because of our altitude about 5000 feet. I do not know how much to take off.
    Does any one know how much to do on this machine?

+1
    Welcome to the Hulk!!

I assume your TX is carbed, not injected, as you stated TX and not TXI?
    Any modifications done already? (stock prop?)
    Where did the ski come from originally? (high altitude like now?)
    What are your current, top end RPM's? (that motor likes the 6,800-ish range)

I'm asking about RPM's because if they're down due to altitude, you may need/want to try depitching the prop a little bit before trying other things. Your speed may not increase, but the ski will be running in the proper RPM range and feel much better all the through the RPM range.

Again, welcome aboard and let us know your RPM's!!

Thanks for the reply.
    Yes it is carbed and it did come from the same altitude as I am at now. It was purchased at a dealership that I worked at. The owner is the original and a friend of mine. It is as it came from the crate there has been no work done to it and the pro is the same. I was going to order a new prop and was talking with a performance company called Group K about getting one. I have a seadoo HX that has had the head shaved and it runs really well as this altitude. In talking to Group K about shaving the head they said that the 1200 triple response well to this just make sure I do not go below 3000ft.

I know it needs the prop because I am only getting about 5700 rpms out of it and just as you stated everything I read on this ski is saying around 6800 rpms. Also it is very sluggish out of the hole and I can tell the engine is struggling to rev out. The top speed is still at about 45 to 50 but top speed is not the driving force for me i want it to come up to speed harder so if I pull a skier or am just playing you know when you hit the gas.

One last thing that may help in getting advice it had 50 hours on it when I picked it up and the compression is at 130lb on all 3 cylinders.

Also would like to know if it is a good idea to get set up for mixing my fuel and get rid of the oil injunction.

Rasta Mon Condoms We Be Jammin!!!!! TxVirageTx's Avatar
    +1
    might look at the wash as the air density is less at higher altitude and you could be rich enough to rob some power

Been watching my plugs and the air to fuel seems to be about right

+1
    K-Dog,
    Call this number: 315-343-6513 and ask for Jay. He is "2&4strokepolaristech" here on the forum and runs a Polaris shop in Scriba (Oswego) NY. Tell him Crazy sent you.
    Explain your situation to him and get a feel for your options, and also for Jay. He can hook you up. (pun intended)

CrazyA
    Thanks for the number to Jay he help a lot will get this thing going a lot better

how much did u end up wacking?

Thread Information