Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question BOV, surge kit why need a vacuum line

Im trying to understand the purpose of that vacuum line affect on the BOV,

There is negative pressure building up because off throttle, throttle valve closes ok so then the air pressure has no where to go so hence the BOV lets out the air pressure.

So why the vacuum line below the map sensor?

+1
    The vacuum is what opens the valve on the BOV.

BOV Vacuum Line

Quote Originally Posted by hitman View Post
    The vacuum is what opens the valve on the BOV.
    When the off-throttle vacuum opens the BOV does that mply that unfiltered air is now entering the intake thru the BOV?

Just relax and enjoy the ride. XLT Chad's Avatar
    +1
    When the throttle is let off, the throttle body closes, but the super charger is still continuing to spin. Instead of that pressure building up as a back pressure against the supercharger, the BOV opens,releasing the excess pressure. Once the amount of pressure goes below the preset limit, the BOV closes. The vacuum line is how the valve knows the difference between boost and unwanted back pressure. If the vacuum line wasn't there, the valve would open any time boost was applied.

Quote Originally Posted by XLT Chad View Post
    When the throttle is let off, the throttle body closes, but the super charger is still continuing to spin. Instead of that pressure building up as a back pressure against the supercharger, the BOV opens,releasing the excess pressure. Once the amount of pressure goes below the preset limit, the BOV closes. The vacuum line is how the valve knows the difference between boost and unwanted back pressure. If the vacuum line wasn't there, the valve would open any time boost was applied.
    Let me ask the question this way. At idle my boost guage is at maybe minus 20psi. If that is enough vacuum to open the valve then I am sucking in unfiltered air thru the BOV.

Just relax and enjoy the ride. XLT Chad's Avatar
    +1
    No. the valve is spring loaded and one direction

Quote Originally Posted by XLT Chad View Post
    No. the valve is spring loaded and one direction
    So air can only go out and not in? That would explain it but my Greddy BOV doesn't look like it has a 1 way valve. Am I wrong?

i will get all the rest i need when im dead corkycat's Avatar
    +1
    The dump valve has basically two operating conditions; throttle open, and throttle closed. When the throttle is open, the boost pressure coming into the valve from below the diaphragm is equalled by the pressure onto the top of the diaphragm that comes via the small hose from the engine plenim chamber. As the pressures are equal, the spring holds the diaphragm onto its seat, and prevents the pressure venting away. When the throttle is closed, the pressure coming into the top of the valve is significantly reduced, (often to a vacuum), and the pressure below the diaphram lifts it away from its seat, allowing the excess pressure to vent away. As the throttle is reopened, the pressures again equalise, the spring pushes the diaphragm onto its seat, and the boost pressure cannot vent away.

Corky, Chad
    Thanks for the help. I think I have it now.

Greddy BOV adjustment

Quote Originally Posted by corkycat View Post
    The dump valve has basically two operating conditions; throttle open, and throttle closed. When the throttle is open, the boost pressure coming into the valve from below the diaphragm is equalled by the pressure onto the top of the diaphragm that comes via the small hose from the engine plenim chamber. As the pressures are equal, the spring holds the diaphragm onto its seat, and prevents the pressure venting away. When the throttle is closed, the pressure coming into the top of the valve is significantly reduced, (often to a vacuum), and the pressure below the diaphram lifts it away from its seat, allowing the excess pressure to vent away. As the throttle is reopened, the pressures again equalise, the spring pushes the diaphragm onto its seat, and the boost pressure cannot vent away.
    Corky
    With open throttle if the pressure on the "small hose" "equalizes" with the SC pressure to keep the valve closed then how does the adjusting screw on the Greddy bov limit the boost? As long as the pressure is equal on both sides the valve should stay shut.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information