Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

New Prop... Is the "Set-Back" modification neccessary????

Spoke to RIVA today and explained the set-back mod. that I was informed of by another GH member. Is drilling the 1/8" into the impeller neccessary? RIVA's people said they've never heard of such a thing but the guy working on my ski has heard of it and said it's not exactly neccessary. Some input please...

+1
    Are you sure you know what the set back mods is? Because of your description above, it sounds like you dont.

+1
    Isnt the 2011 prop somewhat set back from the factory? I think John (Z06) mentioned something like that....

This was the response I received back from 9secZ06.....
    "U must do the set-back mod to the prop before it goes in the ski, the stock prop is setback. Not trying to sound all doomsday but if the thrust bearing fails in the motor the block can't be saved....if yours is tight to begin with it has no place to go when u take the last 1/8" away.

Eric can hook u up when he bends the prop, if pitching it yourself a local machinist should be able to handle it."

I have the prop waiting to put it in but I'd like to be sure exactly what the deal is....????

+1
    Set back is exactly what it states. The prop is machined where it meets the pump so it is set back furher than normal.
    You dont have to do a set back mod to a prop. I have one for my PX that is and one that aint.

Quote Originally Posted by troyheb View Post
    Set back is exactly what it states. The prop is machined where it meets the pump so it is set back furher than normal.
    You dont have to do a set back mod to a prop. I have one for my PX that is and one that aint.
    I've seen what it looks like by the guy working on my ski so have a good feel for what it is... But then why have one prop that is set-back and one not? Wouldn't you want them uniform in distance from the pump?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by troyheb View Post
    I have one of each also. The one I sent to Erik for a repitch has it, the untouched obviously doesn't. I figured as long as he had it I would give it a shot. Granted there are a lot of variables that affect performance but I did not see a big difference. It's not a ton of money, you could give it a shot if you like. Definitely not nescesary though.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by coachfarnen View Post
    But then why have one prop that is set-back and one not? Wouldn't you want them uniform in distance from the pump?
    One is my summer prop and the other is my winter prop. The summer prop is completely untouched. If someday I decide to have it pitched I may have it set back.

+1
    If u have a new ski that came from the factory w/ setback prop (mine did) and u do not do the mod to a new solas or scat that u install, u must know that u are loosing 1/8" of "play" front to back on the propshaft. Thats all or more than the play that they are set up with. U could move the engine forward 1/8", but the carbon seal may leak. My concern is the thrust bearing, I would rather drop a valve and bust a hole in the cylinder.....at least that can be fixed....

Quote Originally Posted by 9seczo6 View Post
    if u have a new ski that came from the factory w/ setback prop (mine did) and u do not do the mod to a new solas or scat that u install, u must know that u are loosing 1/8" of "play" front to back on the propshaft. Thats all or more than the play that they are set up with. U could move the engine forward 1/8", but the carbon seal may leak. My concern is the thrust bearing, i would rather drop a valve and bust a hole in the cylinder.....at least that can be fixed....
    so is the setback mod for better performance or because it is safer? I thought it was suppose to give your ski better take off and midrange?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information