Ficht - Ignition Coil Open Primary

I checked the codes on the TXi tonight....and there were a bunch. I believe it is from trying the Gensis EMM in it.

After I cleared them, the only code that came back so far is 82 - #3 (PTO) IGNITION COIL OPEN PRIMARY.

I found a few threads on here that mentioned that had the code, but no follow up on what they found wrong with it.

I am not getting spark on the PTO and when I move the PTO primary wire to another coil it does not produce spark there either.

Anyone have suggetions on this? I'm guessing the only thing that it could be is a bad/cut primary wire or the EMM is toast.

Well, I went ahead and pulled the EMM again and checked the MAG primary wire. I have good continuity between the EMM connector and the end of the primary wire. Pretty much only means that the EMM is bad.

Hopefully it's an easy/cheap fix for DFI....but I'm guessing they charge the full price no matter what they find.

Thats a bummer. Sure does sound like its an EMM issue.

+1
    That's a weird set-up,not sure how the EMM watches the primary circuit, there is only 1 wire per coil coming out of EMM.And nothing going back.

K447 mentioned the coil ground being important-in this case it completes the circuit and could set the code.

Does the EMM put out like 300 volts to the coil ?

Good thoughts there Casey. I would think (guessing here) the EMM monitors for voltage build-up in the primary coil and discharge in the secondary. If it dont see this variation in voltage it would likely report a code. Also, as you mentioned about the grounding: if the coils have poor ground to the GROUND TAB on the coil then you could also have a no spark issue. However, since he swapped the primary wire to a different coil that was producing spark and then got no spark I would seem to think its still a EMM issue, otherwise it would have fired the coil. One way to find out is to connect the primary wire from either the CEN or MAG and see if it fires the ignition coil. If so you can eliminate that coil as a possible issue.

You can also check the coil with a meter. Primary resistance should be .05 - .15 ohms. Secondary resistance should be 225-325 ohms.

I'm convinced that it's another EMM issue....especially since the problem followed the primary to other coils.

I talked to DFI today and they said it's most likely the EMM. They currently have my 800 EMM and confirmed it to be bad. (Didn't have spark on either cylinder.) He seemed to think I could try using the 800 EMM in the 1200 just to test, although I'm not sure this will work.

I'll probably go ahead and just send it to DFI once I get the 800 one back. Over a grand on EMM repairs...this will be painful.

Its according to what connector the primary wires come out of. I would have to look at the wiring diagram to see but if its not out of the 40 pin connector, you could disconnect the other two plugs leaving he 40 pin on the virage EMM and then connect the other two connectors to the other EMM and see if it will fire. Again, I would have to look at the wire diagram to see.... The 40 pin side is all the brains if you will of the EMM, the other two connectors is the voltage side for input from the stator that fires the injectors etc. I dont see why you couldnt leave the 40 pin connector on your virage EMM and plug in your genesis EMM to the other two plugs to see if it will fire.....

+1
    After thinking about it,the EMM probably just watches to see voltage goes to 0 on that wire. (Since the coil primary is always grounded)(seems like a pretty specific code)

With a corroded wire,you would have continuity but not flow enough voltage.

Simple test = with emm disconnected,jump 12v (red/pur) to that wire, connect a test light to other end of wire.
    If you unbolt the coil,it should show 12v at the ground surface also.(with coil plugged in )
    (12v test light uses a couple amps and loads the circuit-if you have a weak/corroded connection-it will not light up)

Thread Information