+1

2001 800 gpr hard starting

I had a buddy ,mechanic rebuild my carbs as i watched . Problem is it is really hard to start and seems to bog a little when just touching the throttle,once you nail the throttle its fine.
    This problem has started after we rebuilt the carbs .Before rebuild it cranked right up and run pretty good ,upon opening up carbs they were really bad inside glad we took them apart i really could not see how they even ran let alone ran pretty good.He seems to think it could be that there is a air leak or the reeds need to be resealed i dont know much about two stroke but i can tell you i am learning and quickly .

Can anyone give some insight on what you may have experienced or what you may think it could besides what i was told ?

I am getting tired of taking the exhaust off this thing although im getting pretty fast at it i think the last time i had everthing apart in about 20 mins

+1
    Oh and the compression is # 1 11 8 # 2 118

+1
    If it ran better before the carb rebuild, then after...I'd would think something isn't quite setup correctly with the rebuilt carbs. Did you guys use genuine Mikuni kits? How many turns out is the low speed adjuster set at? and what is the pop off pressure?

Just relax and enjoy the ride. XLT Chad's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    If it ran better before the carb rebuild, then after...I'd would think something isn't quite setup correctly with the rebuilt carbs. Did you guys use genuine Mikuni kits? How many turns out is the low speed adjuster set at? and what is the pop off pressure?
    +1 recheck the carbs

+1
    +Yes used Mikuni kits.And dont know what the pop off was i did not rebuild them buddy did i was there but i dont think he checked it from me remembering i didnt see him check it.He did my 1200's at the same time,those are perfect.Today i took them back off checked them against the rebuild sheet eveything is perfect,he did change the spring though he said pop off is a little high from the factory and he allways does this on his rebuilds ,and like i said also did this on the 1200 and its fine.It seems to me that the carbs are not holding prime once i put a little premix in the spark plug holes and get it started it will run they start to take its own fuel,I know i can put a primer kit on it but it didnt need one before so why should it need one now.Like i sadi its losing prime and having a hard time regaining it .Thats where the problem is so what could it be .I have thought about new fuel lines ,but i would think i would see some sort of leak witch i am not ,not saying that there isnt one because i am really leaning towards some sort of air leak or maybe a bad check valve.It is really annoying but what can i do im sure if someone had the answer on here they would share there info,so if anyone can shed some light on the problem please let me know .It is getting to the point i will just go find another ski and trash this one ,money is not a problem ,but i will NOT get rapped by the dealer that a fact and my buddy is real busy with like 100 other skis to fix he doesnt want to charge me to fix mine he just doesnt have the time so thats the deal with him and how can i go somewhere else and have it fixed im not going to do that its wrong in my eyes.If i call him or go there he will help me but the guys got to make a living so im not going to go there and be a pain in the ass.whatever it is it has got to be something simple im just out of ideas .Tomorrow i will start to search for another ski til he has time or i drag this thing behind my truck through the mud doing 80 and leave it where it breaks off at

+1
    Ok Guys here is what happen i took the carbs off took them apart and noticed something funny,There was alot of gas just sitting in the carbs as if they never shot fuel into the motor .I went Back to the guy who rebuilt them and he took the other one apart ,he said this is not right as well.He look at his order form for parts house and remembered that there are to different kits for this type of carb.

From what i could understand the o rings on the side of the carb where the two (One rubber one plastic)gaskets ,i guess is what you call them was wrong.I posted this because i notice that on this forum it seems like allot of people find a fix and do not share the info with the rest.I hope this helps and for the record i dont know if this is true but we put new o rings in the carbs put it back together and it is running i just have to adjust a few things and off i go once again

+1
    So the ski is easy to start now and doesn't have the bog?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Creative View Post
    Ok Guys here is what happen i took the carbs off took them apart and noticed something funny,There was alot of gas just sitting in the carbs as if they never shot fuel into the motor .I went Back to the guy who rebuilt them and he took the other one apart ,he said this is not right as well.He look at his order form for parts house and remembered that there are to different kits for this type of carb.

From what i could understand the o rings on the side of the carb where the two (One rubber one plastic)gaskets ,i guess is what you call them was wrong.I posted this because i notice that on this forum it seems like allot of people find a fix and do not share the info with the rest.I hope this helps and for the record i dont know if this is true but we put new o rings in the carbs put it back together and it is running i just have to adjust a few things and off i go once again
    Thanks for the update!!
    Must have used regular SBN 44 kits instead of the I-body kits??

+1
    im still having issues it seemed to clear up some but not all .I seen him us the right kits but i guess something is different about them .I think my issue is that he just replaced so of the parts this time around and not all i asked him today if some parts are wrong how do u know the others aren't .Tomorrow i am going to get fresh new kits again and do it myself that is the only way it think its going to be done right

Thread Information