best place to learn

I NEED to learn how fix things on my skis! Im going to this mechanics shop to pick up 1 of 2 skis that have been there for over 6 weeks (he only does this part time, daytime job is motorcycle mechanic at a shop, they stopped selling skis so he does it on his own) but he wont let me come in to watch and learn things or help by handing wrenches and what not. So my question is where can i go to learn, at least the harley site has a dvd set i bought that goes over everything(not cheap-but has paid for itself already) mine isnt even done and im thinking in the 800$ range for a top end job. to high? parts on order for three weeks already! How do i learn it myself to prevent this in the future? thanks

+1
    I'm learning too. This is the best place to gather knowledge and advice. Many very knowledgeable people here.

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    Here my friend! read up there are tons of threads with what you are looking for. the search button is your friend! I had my top end job done in a week and I sent my top end to the east coast and back. three weeks sounds like someone is taking you for a ride

+1
    Best way to learn is to dive into it. There is a wealth of knowledge on this site and plenty of members to assist you with experience. If your looking for a specific answer to a question, try the search function and see what you can find. If you can't find what your looking for, don't be afraid to ask questions.

I agree with airborne, 800 bucks just for a top end is a little steep. Realistically you can buy a good set of pistons and a gasket set for less than 300 bucks. Any reasonable machine shop should be able to punch your cylinders for 80-100 bucks. Should be a $ 400- $ 450 job if you did it yourself...

Here is a link where you can get free manuals for most of the older two stroke models, browse through it and it will give you an idea of what your getting into...

www.seadoomanuals.net

+1
    You have already taken the first step into mastering your ski. Find a local wrencher what knows what he is doing. Learn from them. Or do as I did, read on here and follow the directions in the How-To section of the forum. You can best learn by observation and by doing....

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    Where are you located. you may be lucky and have a couple members close to you that may be able to help...

Thread Information