2005 Valves (RXT/RXP)

I am in the process of rebuilding a 2005 RXT. The engine had 150hrs when the SC failed so I am at a point of starting over. Block and crank are back from the machine shop and I will be assembling the short block soon. On to the head...I know that 2005 and earlier heads had weaker valves, but is this limited to the exhaust valves? Can I just replace the exhaust and call it a good day (after lapping?) What year (cat#) should I order?

Thanks,
    Greg

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ghlenz View Post
    I am in the process of rebuilding a 2005 RXT. The engine had 150hrs when the SC failed so I am at a point of starting over. Block and crank are back from the machine shop and I will be assembling the short block soon. On to the head...I know that 2005 and earlier heads had weaker valves, but is this limited to the exhaust valves? Can I just replace the exhaust and call it a good day (after lapping?) What year (cat#) should I order?

Thanks,
    Greg
    order a set of ferrea valves and call it a day

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ghlenz View Post

Thanks,
    Greg

I would go with 07+ year stock valves @ least for the exhaust side. The intakes you could do ferrea. The intakes would only seem to drop if they had salt water injestion, and would pitt, and rust till they broke off. I think the newer ones were made from a better alloy.

The stock exhaust valves(sodium filled) transfer heat a little better than the Ferrea (all stainless, or inconel) Which could cause them to stick in the guides, and break. Some have had good luck , some have not. What RPM/ECU are u gonna run?

+1
    Honestly, go with the Ferrea's. They are less expensive than the Stock (OEM) valves and better in performance.

Quote Originally Posted by psycho rxp View Post
    What RPM/ECU are u gonna run?

I plan to run stock RPM and ECU, but who knows what the future might hold.

Quote Originally Posted by MSRXP View Post
    Honestly, go with the Ferrea's. They are less expensive than the Stock (OEM) valves and better in performance.
    From what I can tell the Ferraras are less IF I replace ALL the valves, but if I just replace the Exhaust valves, then stock is less $$. Add to this, the fact that I need my machine shop to cut the Ferrars to lenght, seem to be less? Am I missing something?

replace the Exhaust valves, intake valves are the same

Quote Originally Posted by boBO View Post
    replace the Exhaust valves, intake valves are the same
    are you saying that the 07 intake valves are of the same material for the 04-06? but then in post #3 he states that the intake valves could drop if they get rusty/pitty.

+1
    Dude since you are there already dont skimp now just replace all the valves and call it a day!

They changed the intake valves later than the exhaust valves (in 2008 ), but they didn't change the valve material. They made them stronger by re-shaping the dish on the head.

Exhast valves on 2005 and older will start with #72
    Exhast valves in 2006 and newer models up to 2011 will start with #75
    all intake valves will start with #75
    they stamp the numbers in tha valves near the locks

Thread Information