Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Engine Internals question

Anyone with motor work done I have couple of questions....

Riva Kit-How much do they charge to install and is there any extra work that should be done?
    How is the best way to ship them the motor and what would it cost from Maryland?
    Does anyone know of any shops in Maryland that is up to do this type of work?
    Any other advice on getting motor work done?

Thanks

dunno about maryland, but any competant motorcycle or snowmobile shop should be able to build an engine. with the machine shop doing majority of the work with the piston to wall clearancing during the boring and honing shouldn't be too hard. all thats left is to set ring gaps, and bearing clearances. and thats all outlined in the shop service manual or to the builders preference. the rest is just changine parts and putting it all back together. like big adult sized lego's.

+1
    There are tools involved to "properly" building an engine.

Must haves are a torque wrench, ring compressor, feeler gauges, and a couple measuring tools. You can get by with plasti-gage for bearing clearances.

Tools that are a good idea include: Inside and outside mics, dialbore guage, timing wheel, etc...

I have learned to trust no machine shop, and double check EVERYTHING! I knew
    I was going to build several engines in my life, so investing in 0-5" mics, and a sunnen dialbore gauge made sense..

certainly. i agree

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by slociviccoupe View Post
    dunno about maryland, but any competant motorcycle or snowmobile shop should be able to build an engine. with the machine shop doing majority of the work with the piston to wall clearancing during the boring and honing shouldn't be too hard. all thats left is to set ring gaps, and bearing clearances. and thats all outlined in the shop service manual or to the builders preference. the rest is just changine parts and putting it all back together. like big adult sized lego's.
    i sent my block to riva so they could hone the sleeves out and do some block repairs, the shipping was less than $100 each way from the west coast to florida.
    when we got the block back everything was golden.

Who did you use for shipping?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by gashog301 View Post
    Who did you use for shipping?
    UPS

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by gordon lasiter #328 View Post
    i sent my block to riva so they could hone the sleeves out and do some block repairs, the shipping was less than $100 each way from the west coast to florida.
    when we got the block back everything was golden.
    Did RIVA install your internals ?

+1
    One of the critical procedures required for an internal upgrade will be crank balancing. Even Riva subcontracts that work out.

Bore work can be done at any good local shop.

You might be able to ship just your head and crank to Riva for the valve upgrade and then have them send your crank w/ the new rods and pistons out for balancing. Would certainly be cheaper than sending the entire block if you're comfortable doing some of the disassembly and assembly yourself.

It's something you'd need to verify w/ Riva - I'm uncertain if the block is necessary for crank balancing.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelly_A View Post
    One of the critical procedures required for an internal upgrade will be crank balancing. Even Riva subcontracts that work out.

Bore work can be done at any good local shop.

You might be able to ship just your head and crank to Riva for the valve upgrade and then have them send your crank w/ the new rods and pistons out for balancing. Would certainly be cheaper than sending the entire block if you're comfortable doing some of the disassembly and assembly yourself.

It's something you'd need to verify w/ Riva - I'm uncertain if the block is necessary for crank balancing.
    By chance do you know a reasonable labour cost for this job ?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information