Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2001 TXI good, bad or evil

Hi, im am new to the site and looking at buying a 2001 TXI, is ther anything i need to look out for and how are these machines, i am new to the water sports stuff but have no problem with maintaining or working on stuff. This will be mainly for the family to have a good time on with an ocasiional scream across the lake on and pulling a tube once in awhile. Any help or ideas would be great and thanks!!!!

Biggest problem with the injected machines is the EMM (computer) overheating and going bad. It's a good idea to check the flow of the cooling lines going to it, and replace them to ensure good flow. When it does fail, there's only one company that repairs them and it's a $550 fix.

Check for a "check engine" message on the screen when you are test riding it.

Other than that, and as long as compression is good, there's not much else you can check for.

How much are they asking for the ski?

I have 2 of them. When they run, they are fast and handle good. My son loves them. But, they can be a pain to diagnose when things arent working right. Both of mine run, but one just doesnt seem to want to come up to full rpm. Almost like its choking out. Took it to a shop that said they had experience with them and the equipment to read the computer. Its been close to 3 months now and all I ever get is one story after another about why they havent looked at it. The only reason I havent yanked it out of the shop yet is because I am short storage space and dont have room to jockey skis around right now.

They rely too much on the digital wrench software instread of knowing how the system actually works. You can make a simple LED tool to read the codes from the EMM. As for your ski not getting up to speed, most likely its low compression it could be the TPS. As for the shop, you dont need them lol We have enough people on here that can diagnose the issue for free most likely.

Banned User
    +1
    K447 has enough info on his pages to help you diagnose anything on these skis. He is an expert on the injected motors

Quote Originally Posted by jackofalltrades View Post
    They rely too much on the digital wrench software instread of knowing how the system actually works. You can make a simple LED tool to read the codes from the EMM. As for your ski not getting up to speed, most likely its low compression it could be the TPS. As for the shop, you dont need them lol We have enough people on here that can diagnose the issue for free most likely.

This.

I picked up my two about 3 months ago and finally got around to messing with them. The 800 had a dead EMM (no spark), which is currently with DFI and should be back this week. The 1200 I think ultimately had a bad fuel pump, although I did a bunch of other stuff before figuring that out. Now it doesn't have spark in the PTO cylinder which may or may not have been there all along...its EMM is going to DFI this week.

Really, once you get the EMM repaired by DFI (they also do some upgrades & updates on them) I think these can be great machines.

I really recomend budgeting $550 for the EMM repair if you're looking at buying one though.

Quote Originally Posted by jackofalltrades View Post
    Compression on engine is fine, the tps was replaced and actually ran worse with the new tps on it, so put old one back on. The LR module was bad and causing some problems so that has been replaced. Both skis had fuel pressure regulator failures so those have been modified with the Kawasaki regulator. I had some other skis I needed to spend some time on and this shop swore they had experience with them and the software to diagnose the problem. Otherwise I would be working on it and fixing it myself. This ski had a computer failure shortly after I bought it and it was not repairable. It has a used computer with matching set of injectors on it. Ran fine in the garage, but of course you cant tell anything until it is on the water. On the water it wants to stumble and choke like its getting either to much or too little fuel, will start to take off, but then start blubbering and sputtering again.

Because of the used computer, I wanted to try and have someone look at it on a diagnostic computer to see if they could see any problems inside the computer. That is the only reason I took it to this shop, they swore they had the equipment to read the computer. I have gotten one excuse after another, the most recent being they didnt have the correct communication cable, so they had ordered one, but it was on back order. I personally downloaded the information from here on how to build one and took it down to them. That was over a month ago.

I now have room in my garage to bring it home and work on it, and an open trailer spot to pick it up with, so I will be heading down to get it.

Quote Originally Posted by BryanP View Post
    K447 has enough info on his pages to help you diagnose anything on these skis. He is an expert on the injected motors
    +1 He is the man for sure. I am sure he has forgot more about these skis than I know lol

Quote Originally Posted by bgaidan View Post
    This.

I picked up my two about 3 months ago and finally got around to messing with them. The 800 had a dead EMM (no spark), which is currently with DFI and should be back this week. The 1200 I think ultimately had a bad fuel pump, although I did a bunch of other stuff before figuring that out. Now it doesn't have spark in the PTO cylinder which may or may not have been there all along...its EMM is going to DFI this week.

Really, once you get the EMM repaired by DFI (they also do some upgrades & updates on them) I think these can be great machines.

I really recomend budgeting $550 for the EMM repair if you're looking at buying one though.
    I agree. I had mine repaired by DFI and it runs like a champ.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information