1996 HX best oil

I have been reading alot of post stating that synthetic oil is needed in the xps and some of the other motors. I have a 96 HX and have not been running synthetic oil in it is this a problem? Do I need to go to a synthetic? What is best to this engine?

Also keep reading about the oil bypass and mixing your fuel is this a good thing to do?

New to this ski trying to get a feel for the best way to make it last.

+1
    The HX has the 720 motor which takes the regular mineral Sea-Doo oil as per Bombardier. (not synthetic) Stick with injection. Pre mix is 1970's and a hassle. Plus with this motor you'd have to rig up an oil bath line to the rotary valve with it's own little reservoir.

Aquaguy is right, you are supposed to run regular Sea-doo mineral oil in the 717cc motor (and all motors that are straight up and down for that matter), however Sea-doo has recently same out with a "synthetic blend" like BRP XP-S 2-Stroke Synthetic Blend 293600072 At Parker Yamaha.com that they say is safe to run in both types of Sea-doo's the straight up and down one's (580cc 650cc 657xcc and the 717cc motors) and the "laydown" motors (800cc's, 951cc's) so entirely the choice is yours but I personally run just straight mineral in all the 717's I have.

Quote Originally Posted by AquaGuy View Post
    The HX has the 720 motor which takes the regular mineral Sea-Doo oil as per Bombardier. (not synthetic) Stick with injection. Pre mix is 1970's and a hassle. Plus with this motor you'd have to rig up an oil bath line to the rotary valve with it's own little reservoir.
    i agree on the regular oil, non synthetic, but i disagree with injection, all my seadoo's are premix, and its definitely not 1970's,,, its 2011 !
    with that said, the seadoo's are not as prone as the yamaha injectors to breaking down but i'd rather error on the side of caution, i'm sure i burn more oil this way, but i'd rather burn an extra gallon a year than burn thru a top end...

+1
    I used synthetic in a 97 GSI with the 720. I had the GSI and a 98 GTXL so instead of using two oils I ran the synthetic in both. Started off with the BRP stuff until the price got stupid then switched both machines to Amsoil Interceptor with no issues.

I have owned Seadoos for about 10 years and have never had an oil pump problem, make sure the small lines from the pump to the intake are in good shape and change the filter every two years.

I would stick to use oil injection but you have to make sure you change the lines that go from the rotary valve housing to the intake manifold as they tend to get brittle, and I've seen some people drop their carbs on them and break them. As for oil I'd still just stick to the regular seadoo oil its cheap $26.25 at places like parker yamaha ---> BRP Regular Injection Oil Gallon 293-600-118 At Parker Yamaha.com

Thanks for all the input I will just keep using the mineral oil then and I am not going to bypass the oil injection for now.

Thread Information