1017cc xpl full revs at 3/4 throttle

just slapped my xpl together, has a 1017 wiseco pistons with hotrods crank, proks, jetted with 167.5 closed, v force reeds and a 14/22 repicthed stocker by impros. it accelerates like an animal to 6000rpms then climbs to 6800 at 3/4 and when i hit wot it does nothing more and engine sounds the same as 3/4. i swapped it out with a solas 15/20 and hits 6800 again, i would think it should rev way higher with that prop. so far ive pulled the springs on the raves no difference, swapped the rave solenoid, no difference. im stumped. head was also milled for 93octane by group k for the 1017cc.
    btw, fuel lines were changed. and i swapped my carbs off my rx which tacks out at 6950 with a fresh rebuild on them but did the same exact thing
    GPS speed is right at 61mph with the 15/20. also the throttle cable is not going all the way back unless you nail it a couple times and let go. can a tps cause this as the hull has sat up with no engine for over a year

+1
    Stock prop for XPL --- Year 98 14/21 , 99-2002 15/21
    You sure the stocker now is a true 14/22 ?
    You can check it yourself very easily with the attachment below. All you need to do is print it out onto a clear sheet and staple it at the ends so it wraps around your prop.The last inch of the trailing edge on the bottom edge of the blade will give you your 22 degree pitch and the first inch will give you your low end pitch degree.
    The solas 15/20 can sometimes be too tall as well , you only have to have 1 blade out by 1 degree and it will pull revs down no matter how much you tune it. I would verify the pitch's first
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pitch.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	98.8 KB 
ID:	253487  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by SURFnTURF View Post
    Stock prop for XPL --- Year 98 14/21 , 99-2002 15/21
    You sure the stocker now is a true 14/22 ?
    You can check it yourself very easily with the attachment below. All you need to do is print it out onto a clear sheet and staple it at the ends so it wraps around your prop.The last inch of the trailing edge on the bottom edge of the blade will give you your 22 degree pitch and the first inch will give you your low end pitch degree.
    The solas 15/20 can sometimes be too tall as well , you only have to have 1 blade out by 1 degree and it will pull revs down no matter how much you tune it. I would verify the pitch's first
    im positive its not the prop, the 15/20 i tried came off my rx. my rx only has a rejet and proks and pulls 6950 in a second. just doesnt make sense my 1017 with way more compression, head, jets, proks, and reeds can't even turn that prop the same as my rx. it feels like as if it would be on the rev limiter but the tach is only at 6800. any other thoughts lol? i swapped the reg valve as well.

+1
    I still think its in the propulsion side.I had a 98 xpl with a 15/20 in it and it pulled like a freight train out of the hole up to 3/4 speed then it just wouldn't go any faster or rev harder.It just used more fuel at WOT. Pulled the prop and changed it to a known good one and it revved to 7000.

Just a little check has the venturi ever been changed over from rx to xpl as they have different reduction radius and exit diameters that can keep revs down. The way to rule out the prop and pump is to run it with a pump and prop configuration that you know will rev into the 6950s.

What grate are you running ?

I still think its in the propulsion side.I had a 98 xpl with a 15/20 in it and it pulled like a freight train out of the hole up to 3/4 speed then it just wouldn't go any faster or rev harder.It just used more fuel at WOT. Pulled the prop and changed it to a known good one and it revved to 7000.

Just a little check has the venturi ever been changed over from rx to xpl as they have different reduction radius and exit diameters that can keep revs down. The way to rule out the prop and pump is to run it with a pump and prop configuration that you know will rev into the 6950s.

venturi is from the rx. the exit nozzle is from the xp. didnt think of that part going to go swap it out and see

tried yet a different pump off a gsxL and same exact thing. shoots to 6000, and climbs to 6800 at 3/4 and nothing more. i unplugged the tps sensor and it does the same thing. i thought with the tps unplugged it should run worse right?

+1
    The test the TPS.

First the TPS when working properly, sends out 5 volts vdc between zero throttle and 80 % throttle, after 80% throttle, it sends zero vdc to the mpem.
    If you see 5 vdc at full throttle, you need to adjust the TPS by loosening the jamb nut on the throttle cable adjuster . It is inline in the throttle cable). Adjust the adjuster until you get zero volts after 80% throttle.

To test it you need to connect the voltage meter leads to the wires coming off the TPS ( located under the oil tank on XPL's) Connect the voltmeter between the black/white and a ground. Do not unplug the TPS harness, slip the test lead in along the wire to the switch ( a metal paper clip works good here) . Depress the stop switch once to power up the ignition system. It will stay on for 30 seconds. Then pull the throttle lever to around 80%, the voltmeter should read zero after 80% throttle. If it does not show zero voltage after 80%, adjust it. If you cannot adjust it to get zero voltage after 80%, replace the throttle cable.

The test the TPS.

First the TPS when working properly, sends out 5 volts vdc between zero throttle and 80 % throttle, after 80% throttle, it sends zero vdc to the mpem.
    If you see 5 vdc at full throttle, you need to adjust the TPS by loosening the jamb nut on the throttle cable adjuster . It is inline in the throttle cable). Adjust the adjuster until you get zero volts after 80% throttle.

To test it you need to connect the voltage meter leads to the wires coming off the TPS ( located under the oil tank on XPL's) Connect the voltmeter between the black/white and a ground. Do not unplug the TPS harness, slip the test lead in along the wire to the switch ( a metal paper clip works good here) . Depress the stop switch once to power up the ignition system. It will stay on for 30 seconds. Then pull the throttle lever to around 80%, the voltmeter should read zero after 80% throttle. If it does not show zero voltage after 80%, adjust it. If you cannot adjust it to get zero voltage after 80%, replace the throttle cable.

sorry stock grate. well just hooked it up like you said it read .3 on volts?? not real good with electrics. they have a black wire, a purple wire, and a white wire. hook the positive lead to the white and black with the ground wire to the block? took the ski out today and now the throttle only opens the carbs to 3/4 and has a bunch of slack in it, the linkage is still tight on the carbs and throttle? guess imma just order a whole new cable with the tps, they had a bunch of water inside that tps cap when i popped it off looked corroded as well

Thread Information