Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

newby here with a gp800 and a sudden prob need help

I git a 99 gp800 and it ran great last weekend and today I went to ride it and all of a sudden right after starting it up it won't hold an idle and is a lot slower I adjusted the idle screw and it worked for a few but is still ends up dropping down and eventuallly stalling and backfired the pv should be good since I put wave eater clips in last month its just an instant prob it started doing it right when I started her up before I put it in water the compression seems good and plugs are new stator is good I run 32;1 premix with yamalube 2w the headgasket is new and I checked the highs and lows and they are at the factory setting I'm not sure if its a carb issue cause it ran great lastweek but I don't know much about carbs and I don't know when the last rebuild was or how the reeds work or if one went bad and how it would acts when they need replacing the ski has 155 hrs on it and is stock

+1
    backfire through the intake or out the exhaust?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by silvercrxsir View Post
    the compression seems good
    Q:What were the compression numbers after the backfire?

+1
    Backfired throutgh the exhaust I'm nor sure about the comp numbers yet my gushed is at work but I can verify both cyl have compression its just weird how it happened all of a sudden especially since last weekend it prob ran the best it ever has I do know the topend has around 20hrs on it but one thing I just thought of was it had 1/4 tank when I ran it on the trailer and the trailer was unhooked so tthe ski was leaning forward so I put around 2gal of gas in it that was sitting in my truck all week in the fl sun in a gas can so that gas could be toast but I also put 4gal of fresh gas in on the way to the lake e I could have contaminated the fuel the ski runs alright in midrange and with the idle turned up its smooth and revs like it should just won't idle unless I turn the screw up and won't rev as high as it should and had lack of power in the water I only have had the ski for 4months and has been a royal pain first the headgasket was bad then the stature went out and when I put the pv clips in the front pv had been left out by a previous owner the only thing I haven't had to mess with were the carbs which I was gonna rebuild this winter I'm hoping its the bad gas I put in I had a similar issue with my mower last year I just don't know if 2gal of bad premix gas would do it to 6gal of good gas but you never know can u think of anything else to consider lookin into or is my gas prob a likely cause

+1
    Do u think the gas sitting in my truck in the heat and sun caused it to go bad and the 2gallons would have basically contaminated the rest of it there is prob 7gal in the tank including the 2gal that was sitting in the bed of my truck

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by silvercrxsir View Post
    Do u think the gas sitting in my truck in the heat and sun caused it to go bad and the 2gallons would have basically contaminated the rest of it there is prob 7gal in the tank including the 2gal that was sitting in the bed of my truck
    It does sound like a fuel problem. just remember water in oil or gas goes to the bottom of the tank were the pickup is. whether the fuel selector is in the res. or on position its still pulling fuel from the bottom of the tank. and gas sitting in the sun all day doesnt cause it to go bad.

+1
    I'm gonna change the filter tomorrow do I need to pull the carbs to check the internal filters I'm also gonna drain the gas and replace with new gas and I also noticed that the bonehead I got it from pulled the oil tank when it was converted to premix didn't do anything about the tank strap and the tank must have been bouncing around and the fuel filter fell off its holder and was laying there and the hose off the check valve that goes to the round thing I think its a water seperator or somethin but that hose was disconnected and I fixed those issues but seems to act the same I'm even considering the fact some of the gas might have evaporated in the can in the hot Florida sun and its real oil rich it does smoke a lot any other suggestions or things to check are appreciated

+1
    My reason for thinkin the gas went bad was cause I did the same thing lastyear I had gas sitting outside where its been 100 degrees and it sat out for a week or so and used it to fuel up my riding mower after running it dry and it wouldn't come close to starting then I drained it and filled with new stuff and it started right up

+1
    Make sure the check valve is on correctly if it is not the tank is under vaccum. and your ski wont run wright. it would be a good idea to go through the carbs. before you pull them off and after you remove the air box crank it up and hold your hand over the carbs NOT choking it and reving it up if it starts spitting gas back on your hand you have a reed problem if it only has vaccum their OK.

+1
    The check valve should be on right it just popped the line off the top and the tank does hold pressure it isles ok now with the idle adjusted and it revs up fine but cuts out in the high rpm I'm gonna double check the pv adjustment and maybe pop off the covers to make sure everything is ok in there

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information