Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

Florida Rattlesnake - in the front yard!

Killed this Eastern Diamondback Rattler (pit viper) just a few feet from our mailbox in the front yard tonight; this thing was between 4 and 5 feet long and as thick as my arm; (they get a lot bigger here); it was a beautiful animal but way too dangerous with kids and pets around the neighborhood. After this I will be a little more careful walking around the house at night!

+1
    DAMN

+1
    My good friend's son was bit by one. The consensus was that it was a species of rattler and approx. 30 inches long. He was vomiting within half an hour and it was a 45 minute drive to the nearest medical facility. He ended up in quite a bit of pain and two weeks later is still on crutches, but making a speedy recovery.

I'm no snake hater myself, but yeah - large, venomous reptiles around the house have to go.

+1
    Got a head and the rattles on a bolo tie on my mirror. Great when dead!!!

+1

+1
    He is a cool color snake. They look different over here. I guess that why they call them Westerns diamondback. I saw one crossing the lake one day. All I could think about was crashing next to it and bit the hell out of me.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 83Gator View Post
    My good friend's son was bit by one. The consensus was that it was a species of rattler and approx. 30 inches long. He was vomiting within half an hour and it was a 45 minute drive to the nearest medical facility. He ended up in quite a bit of pain and two weeks later is still on crutches, but making a speedy recovery.
    I'm glad he's okay. Fortunately today's advanced medical treatments make deaths a rarity, but they do happen. In 2005 a fire marshall in Putnam County Florida was killed by an Eastern Diamondback. I remember back in 2000, a 2 year old boy was bitten by a 4 footer in Lakewood, Florida and he died.
    Rattlesnake Kills Boy in Florida

Bites are rare, but Wright and Wright mention a mortality rate of 30% which is pretty amazing. When Diamondbacks bite they can hit you with a BIG shot of venom; an average of 400–450 mg on up to 1,000 mg depending on size of the reptile. The venom has been described as "highly necrotizing," this means even if you live, a hit from a big pit viper can still cause massive tissue loss, permanent nerve damage, amputated fingers and toes, etc. Translation; pit vipers can screw you up pretty bad.

Quote Originally Posted by 83Gator View Post
    I'm no snake hater myself, but yeah - large, venomous reptiles around the house have to go.
    Yeah I felt bad about killing it to be honest. I can't remember the last time I killed a snake; my son has a nice collection with several pythons, boas, king snakes in his room. We like to attend a lot of the herp shows here in Florida.

I thought about trying to put it in a plastic trash can and transporting it to a safer area, but even though I have caught and kept a lot of non-venomous serpents over the years, I'm not experienced with "hot" snakes; and the last thing I need is a trip to the hospital. I know for a fact that most wild envenomations happen while people are trying to kill or capture the animal.

Not to mention, this thing got really pissed off after I took that photo; I went to get a shovel and by the time I came back it was flattened out and striking at my kids while side tracking for my neighbor's yard. I could hear a distinctive "PING" when the fangs hit the metal shovel as it was striking out.

Not that I blame it; it was only trying to defend itself and I have a lot of respect for wildlife. But I kept thinking what if that beast would have crawled under my son's car at night, or into the flower beds I was planning on cleaning out today! In a more isolated setting I would have much preferred to leave it alone, but we all agreed it had to go.

+1
    DAM! Yo a shovel thats like bringing a knife to a gun fight! LOL
    You must live in the city. Out here where I live that would have been my 12 gauge shot gun!
    Glad everyone is ok tho stay safe!

+1
    You did the right thing. No worries on your part. You were thinking about you and your family's safety.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by oklagp1200r View Post
    DAM! Yo a shovel thats like bringing a knife to a gun fight! LOL
    You must live in the city. Out here where I live that would have been my 12 gauge shot gun!
    Glad everyone is ok tho stay safe!
    You're right; would have made a nice target for the Mossberg 590 Special Purpose tactical I was looking at the other day at the gun store; especially with the night light installed; only one problem; I didn't buy it yet.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information