Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Stock S/C wheel clutch failure rate.

We all know that Yammy's drop s/c clutches. I was wondering though, how many have failed with stock boost wheels ?

+1
    Hmmm, you mean bone stock factory setups or modded setups with stock wheels; be specific.

AWA MEMBER
    +1
    Ive beat on mine for 20 hrs with minor mods STOCK wheel No failures

+1
    98 hours here (25 stock, 73 stage 1) no issues. I ride hard offshore, but I'm smart with throttle control.

Quote Originally Posted by YoYamma View Post
    Hmmm, you mean bone stock factory setups or modded setups with stock wheels; be specific.
    I dont think I can be any clearer ................. clutch failures with stock wheel. Mods would only increase boost by 2 or so pounds. I saw 8.5 @8200 on my log file.

Mine failed yesterday. Ive had a BOV from 12 hours old. I started having problems after my 50 hour service. Oil with friction modifiers was used and right away I had a few moments the RPM would not exceed 5 k. I swapped oil filters and replaced the oil several times. Everything has been good for 15 hours until yesterday.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan_FZR View Post
    I dont think I can be any clearer ................. clutch failures with stock wheel. Mods would only increase boost by 2 or so pounds. I saw 8.5 @8200 on my log file.

Mine failed yesterday. Ive had a BOV from 12 hours old. I started having problems after my 50 hour service. Oil with friction modifiers was used and right away I had a few moments the RPM would not exceed 5 k. I swapped oil filters and replaced the oil several times. Everything has been good for 15 hours until yesterday.
    Undoubtably oil with friction modifiers will increase clutch failure because a sprag clutch requires a lot of friction to operate.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan_FZR View Post

Dan, this has been discussed many times on other threads. I have two with stock wheels; over 125 hours each (total 250 hours) and zero issues. There have only been a few stock failures out of thousands of units sold; if you don't believe it, send a PM to the guy who owns this forum and ask him. He has a pretty good insight into the industry and he will tell you the same thing.

Not sure about the oil but that could be a factor; when the 4-Techs first came out I do remember people using the wrong oil were having issues according to my dealer. I have personally only used the recommended Yamaha oil plus I have the 5 year Y.E.S. warranties so it's not really a big concern for me.

Beyond that I don't know what to tell you. If guys have the mods to go over 70 mph like many of us and they punish their ski in big surf and chop every week without proper throttle control then I think their clutch is going to reflect that. I learned the importance of TC from my days on the Sea-Doo side back in 2006 before Yamaha ever came out a SC. Then again, with regard to "failure rates," we could always compare the numbers to the bone stock 4-Tech engines eaten up and destroyed over the years as a result of the infamous Sea-Doo ceramic clutch washers, circa 2003-2007. Now that might be interesting. Ironically, some of the faster Yamahas are now running the Rotax clutch system; go figure. Either way, I hope you get it sorted out; especially considering what you guys have to pay for them over there.

+1
    Mine failed right at 100 hours on the stock wheel but I had a reflash and was spinning 8300-8400. Since then I installed a C3 wheel and now have 175 hours and clutch is still going strong.

+1
    One of my friends who runs in NYC had the clutch fail on his 2011 "100% stock" ski (yes, that's right. 0 mods, not even the intake grate which I've been yelling at him about). He did have a lot of hours on it (161 hours when it blew) and there is a lot of "chop" where he rides, so it is possible that the additional "unhooking" may have worn it out faster. Good news is that the dealer is replacing it under warranty (and for some reason the Supercharger too).

+1
    Clutches require friction to operate properly. You start messing with that (i.e. oil with friction modifiers), you're asking for trouble. The oil called for by the manual may not be the best, but a lot of research should be done before changing it to a different type. I run the Yamalube because it works. There may be something better that will allow the clutch to operate properly, but my ski isn't going to be the experiment for it.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information