Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Autism Speaks. Its Time To Listen gOt BoOsT's Avatar
    +1

Finding the limits...

I'm doing something a bit different than most with my build. I'm going to find out when the stock intake grate, prop, pump and nozzle become a restriction before changing any of them. I feel like the stock set-up works very well and am wondering when and if I will eventually hit a "wall" with that set-up. As of now it feels perfect, but I will be adding more power over the winter. What will be the first sign of reaching the limits of the stock set-up?

+1
    I would think you would have to have a pressure gauge in the tunnel for the pump, that would tell you when you build pressure from your stock set up that the prop is limiting flow (given that you are at optimum RPM), less pressure that your grate is limiting flow. RPM vs MPH for nozzle. You actually want the nozzle to limit flow if your RPM is too high. That's why we go to 83mm RXP nozzles on the PXs to restrict RPM plus increase velocity of the water going out....or go to a steeper prop to limit RPM. There are so many variables it is hard to catagorize them! I would either pick a ski that performs to the limit you want and mimick it or be prepared to spend a lot of $$$ leapfrogging one part after another as you upgrade.

+1
    Thanks for the input bro. Your setup is kind of similar to the way mine is headed, but I'll be installing an ET 68-140 over the winter and I'm figuring I'll be restricted by the grate, prop and nozzle at that point. I do plan on changing the stock set-up...I just want to do it all at once and I'm curious to see just how fast the stock parts can be with big power.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by gOt BoOsT View Post
    Thanks for the input bro. Your setup is kind of similar to the way mine is headed, but I'll be installing an ET 68-140 over the winter and I'm figuring I'll be restricted by the grate, prop and nozzle at that point. I do plan on changing the stock set-up...I just want to do it all at once and I'm curious to see just how fast the stock parts can be with big power.
    Read up on the overstuffing issue on X boats that run stock grates....

+1
    You are already at the limit of the stock PX grate. Anything over 20-30mph with the stock PX grate is at the limit and its only you slowing you down at that point. JMO, you are just wasting your time messing with the stock PX grate.

Banned User
    +1
    Hasnt the "limit" of a stock x grate been found the HARD way by quite a few.respected members?! Just trying to keep you from getting hurt or wreckin your ski!

You put that 68-140 and we'll all sit here with our cheeks puckered hoping you make it out safe hHaha

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by psycho rxp View Post
    Read up on the overstuffing issue on X boats that run stock grates....
    Ive read about the overstuffing problems, but they all had some sort of prop, wedge, or reduction nozzle mods.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jp1300r View Post
    You are already at the limit of the stock PX grate. Anything over 20-30mph with the stock PX grate is at the limit and its only you slowing you down at that point. JMO, you are just wasting your time messing with the stock PX grate.
    so the intake grate is already a restriction!? guess ill be changing them sooner than later...

+1
    do it right, build up on the mods

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike H View Post
    Hasnt the "limit" of a stock x grate been found the HARD way by quite a few.respected members?! Just trying to keep you from getting hurt or wreckin your ski!

You put that 68-140 and we'll all sit here with our cheeks puckered hoping you make it out safe hHaha
    hahahha! i def dont want to get pwnd by my ski! the consensus is change the parts so i will listen and change everything over the winter...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information