Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Exclamation Tx260 FREE Vtech Tune Review

Good morning,
    Over this past weekend I finally had the oppurtunity to do a bunch of testing on TX260x's 260 with the Vtech tune. I apologize this didn't come fast enough for some people on here but please keep in mind it was not my ski, not my FREE tune, and I volunteered to do this for FREE. In the past month since TX260x got the tune, we have had a hurricane, had to correct some issues on his ski, had to coordinate to get a stock 260 ecu and keys, and had to coincide our schedules. To hold everyone over TX260x gave a quick seat of the pants review until we could get the stars to align. Anyway, on to the results...

We did our testing Saturday afternoon when the temperature stabilized around 67°. The water temp was 65°. Being slightly chilly out, there wasn't many people on the water so it was a perfect day for what we had to do. We had the river all to ourselves.

Vtech tune:
    Since the Vtech tuned ecu was already in the ski, we did a bunch of testing with that first. Having water tested this ski several times when it was stock, jumping on it with the Vtech tune was a major difference. The powerband is very smooth throughout the rpm range. Holeshot and the bottom end is noticeably stronger. Throttle response is also noticeably quicker and much more linear than stock.
    I made 4 runs with slightly more than 1/4 tank of fuel and clicked off 68.9 twice, 68.8, and 68.6. Rpms were 8020-8040 . This is a bone stock ski with only the Vtech tune. I was shocked.
    Stock tune:
    After messing around with some other skis we went back to the marina, had a few beverages and switched out the ecus so that we could do the stock one. We put 8-10 gallons of gas in the ski (for consistency) and went back out. Stock throttle response felt sluggish and laggy right off the bat compared to the Vtech tune. Stabbing the throttle from part throttle, the ski seemed like it couldn't get out of its own way while with the vtech tune it just went. Holeshot and the bottom end were much weaker. I did 4 runs on the stock tune. 65.9, 66.2, 66.1, and the last one i won't even count because i let off throttle early due to almost creaming a flock of birds. Rpms stock were 7760-7780.
    Summary:
    With the Vtech tune, without changing anything else on the ski, we picked up 260rpms and roughly 3mph. Throttle response and bottom end are much stronger and the ski even sounds way more aggressive. I don't want to give out a bad AFR number so I will hold off on that. We were doing some testing on Doos earlier in the morning when the air temps were about 50° and wound up smoking the o2. Once I put it in the 260 I couldn't get a solid number. I ordered a couple spares from Advanced so I will eventually be able to check AFR is good. I feel with a wedge and couple small tweaks this ski would break 70mph no problem.

Bonus:
    In addition to the GPS testing we had a couple other skis out there to "test" this 260x against. One was a FZR with only a free flow exhaust and the other was an '07 GPR with an unmodded R&D rideplate, an intake grate, a free flow, and some free air mods. Both Yamahas GPS in the 68mph range so I thought it was a perfect fit. One ski I would love to go against with this 260 is the 300x but unfortunately I don't know of any local so maybe next year...

Stock 260x vs FZR - FZR hangs on holeshot and starts walking away immediately once on plane
    Stock 260x vs GPR - 260x gets the GPR out of the hole but gets quickly reeled in and passed within a few seconds

Vtech 260x vs FZR - 260x is the aggressor on holeshot and after lining up about 4 times each ski was neck and neck. Depending on who reacted fast out of the gate was who inched ahead
    Vtech 260x vs GPR - this wasn't even close. The 260 launched the gpr out of the hole hard and just kept pulling ahead. Gpr couldn't play catch up. If a fish farted under water and caused the slightest ripple then the 260 started pulling bus lengths

I hope this review helps. This was done completely unbiased as I really have nothing to gain out of it. If you have any questions and I don't answer on the thread (don't check the Kawi side often unless I come across a weird problem) then shoot me a pm. They go right to my email so I can answer quickly.

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    Nice review, I want to see some modded boat numbers now.

Thanks

Sean

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeysevin View Post

Thanks

Sean
    I have to be honest, I didn't really expect much from the tune. It was a surprise for all of us. Tx260x (who owns the ski) was going to sell it before he got the tune. He has since changed his mind

+1
    I also really want to see how this Vtech 260 pars with a stock 300. If anyone is near the Jersey Shore with a 300 and wants to meet up this weekend or the following, let me know and I will do my best to arrange something.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeysevin View Post

Thanks

Sean
    +1 Thank you Chris and TX260x

Sean I hope I will have my review for you and the others soon. I am really hoping before MB.

+1
    id like to see how the vtech compares to just advancing the timing, sounds to me you will get similar results,

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by nicjak View Post
    id like to see how the vtech compares to just advancing the timing, sounds to me you will get similar results,
    yep.

+1
    we all learnt that from motec

Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    +1
    sounds like timing advance gains..........

+1
    Well if you guys think about it in a very simple way, the ecu controls fuel and timing. There is no magic parameter to change for more power unless the ecu has a boost limiter in it. It's a balance game between fuel/timing. But.... Flashing an ecu is different than just grinding on the timing wheel because you can vary the timing at different rpms (in addition to adding or removing fuel). You can add a bunch of timing down low then take some away up top and run more boost. Different strokes for different folks I guess

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information