Is 280 grit Honing going to be a problem?

Got my block back from the machine shop and was doing some reading over the weekend and I read somewhere that the Moly rings on the Sea-Doos do a lot better with a 400 git? Called the shop today to see what grit he used and it was a 280 grit? He will redo the hone for me, so is this something I should have him do? Is 280 too course or does it not matter too much?

Thanks,
    Greg

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ghlenz View Post
    Got my block back from the machine shop and was doing some reading over the weekend and I read somewhere that the Moly rings on the Sea-Doos do a lot better with a 400 git? Called the shop today to see what grit he used and it was a 280 grit? He will redo the hone for me, so is this something I should have him do? Is 280 too course or does it not matter too much?

Thanks,
    Greg
    i used 400 grit on mine but you should be fine with 280 maybe a little longer to seat the rings.

Quote Originally Posted by mikelytle1077 View Post
    i used 400 grit on mine but you should be fine with 280 maybe a little longer to seat the rings.
    No, you wil not be OK. Have your shop finish out with 400 grit. 280 is way too coarse.

The reason is that these are moly-filled rings, so they seat in just a short time running. The 280 grit finish will tear off the moly-coating, and you will be left with just the cast surface, and the rings will wear out in a low number of hours.

Kiwi spanner handler
    +1
    like most things you will sleep much better if done by the book rather than hoping "she'll be right!"

Just FYI, you can do a final 400 grit finish with a ball hone. It only takes about 10-20 seconds per hole. They don't even need to setup the block on the Sunnen hone to do this, although if they will do it with 400 grit plateau brushes, then supposedly you get a longer-lasting ring seal.

+1
    Sometimes a course cross hatching is good for oil retention.

R88

Quote Originally Posted by R88ory RXP View Post
    Sometimes a course cross hatching is good for oil retention.

R88
    Perhaps with Briggs & Stratton lawn mower engines, but not with these engines, LOL. These are precision engines with moly rings that dictate a plateau hone finish with fine grit. A too coarse finish will result in low compression, lots of blowby, and poor ring life.

Thread Information