Planning Ocean Trip Advice

Was planning on taking my ski to an island in the sound and camping out on the island. The ski would stay in the sound overnight (2 days floating in the salt water). This would leave the ski in salt water for 2 straight days... My ride plate, intake grate and other components in the back are all stock and corrode in salt water. Any suggestions? Or special considerations? Also I would need some type of anchoring device any ideas? (a typical 10lb metal anchor bouncing around in my storage box isn't ideal)

I know people say it's fine to take it out for the day just flush for several mins and rinse off when you pull it out.

I would just spray the motor down with some fluid film or wd 40 before dropping it in the salt water. 2 days I wouldnt worry about anything because you cant do anything about it. Also When getting home run it all day or for a while in fresh water. Hooking on the hose doesnt in my mind get all the salt out like running it in fresh water would. Still wash it off and hook up to a hose but also throw it in a body of water and have fun for a bit before puting it away.

+1
    I would use FluidFilm for anything under your seats! If you are in the water for 2 days, you should not develop any kinda problems on your intake grate and such! Plus as long as ski is in the water, salt water around the water jackets won't really evaporate! Just give it very good wash and lube after you get it out! If you took it out of the water like beaching it, you can cause salt deposits in the water jackets and cooling system, so keep it anchored in the water.

+1
    The real issue is not salt water per se. Yamaha's are well equiped to handle salt water. Having corrosion in salt water is such a short period of time is not good. Think about grounding issues.

The real deal though is that these boats have a tendency to have fittings loosen up with time. Normally it is not noticed because they do not spend a lot of time in the water. What you see ia a pint or a quart of water in the hull after a ride, because your stock siphon system is working and you may not even know it. If you are going to stay in the water for two days, take the time to check your hull every few hours to make sure that your hull does not have this problem. A bilge pump works wonders in these occasions. As a last resort, you can always beach it and drain it.

A 7-10 pound mushroom anchor that is plastic lined is the ticket when it comes to anchoring and not worring about a pointed anchor rattleing around in your storage box. If there is any kind of current there, then forget the mushroom anchor. It is a good idea to use an anchor as opposed to tieing up to something. It is better to free float your hull rather than having something banging it up all night.

Thats the thing there is somewhat of a current.

+1
    Chuck,

Just sleep on the ski. If it floats away in the night simply ride it back to the campsite.

Hahaha What a good idea Kurk!

Thread Information