Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Still no luck with the PTO firing

On my 96 SL 900 I am still having no luck getting it to fire. There is spark and some fuel. Could it be a reed problem? Also when the acc. pump is working should the fuel spray from the nozzles at the top of the carb? Mine doesnt, but the pump works. Thanks Guys time is running out up here. It runs about 41 and 5250 on the 2 cylinders that work

Banned User
    +1
    The fuel sprays straight down in the carb throats. I would ground the other two plug wires and see if you can get it to run on just the PTO cylinder. If it wont fire, squirt some premix down that carb throat and try again. That will tell you if its getting fuel. Has the ignition update been done on this ski?

+1
    Have you checked the COMPRESSION on cyl #3. A motor need 3 things to work, compression, spark, and fuel, pretty much in that order.

+1
    It doesn't run on just the pto with the other 2 grounded. The other 2 fire and kinda run but not the pto. It kinda fired with a shot of starting fluid, haven't tried premixed as this ski is still oil injected. Compression was about 150 per cylinder. And from what I can see the plug is sparking just not burning anything as the shineyness is gone from where it sparks. I am using BPR8ES plugs, and I did the ignition update, and used a different set of carbs from another 900 with still no fuel getting to the plug. Thanks guys!!!

Banned User
    +1
    Check compression on that cylinder. Dump some premix down the carb and see if it runs on just that cylinder. You need premix for this since the oil injection will not be running when you start it. If it does, then you know you have a fuel delivery problem to that cylinder. Have the carbs been cleaned/rebuilt?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanP View Post
    Check compression on that cylinder. Dump some premix down the carb and see if it runs on just that cylinder. You need premix for this since the oil injection will not be running when you start it. If it does, then you know you have a fuel delivery problem to that cylinder. Have the carbs been cleaned/rebuilt?
    each cylinder read about 150 psi the other day. I have cleaned the carbs which looked really clean but did not rebuild, but have the rebuild kits. I think I may bring to the dealer

Banned User
    +1
    Did you try dumping some gas down that one carb and seeing if it will fire on just that cylinder? Do that before you do anything else!!!! If you can figure out if its an ignition issue or fuel issue you will have pretty much solved the problem

+1
    like Bryan said dump some fuel down the carb it shoud fire

+1
    My laptop shit the bed so I havent been able to get back on here. The fuel down the carb didnt work so I ended up bringing it to the dealer. The reeds were fine but the piston skirt on the PTO had broken the tech told me. The cylinder looks good so it looks like a new piston. Thanks for everyones help. I went as far as I dared, and everyone helped me narrow it down to the last few things it could be. The dealership tested 110, 120, 120 and I got 150, 150, 150 on the compression test, but with different gauges. I dont think he tested it with wot.

Banned User
    +1
    I have never had an engine show 150. Must be a variation in gauges. My 900 and my new 1200 both show 130-135 on my gauge and both engines are around 20 hours

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information