Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

need help ultra lx drive shaft question

Ok so I have an 07 Kawi ultra LX that only has 27 hrs on it....(work alot) My wife sucked a rock into the impellar which is at Impros getting reworked. While that is being done I am going through and replacing the bearings/seals in the jet pump and also the hull through bearing and seals (prevenative maint). Before my question gets asked alittle back ground. I have been working on bike, quads, vehicles...ect and also I have yrs of machining under my belt and let me tell you this PWC world is a bit diffrent...learing as I go. So here is my question when i pulled the drive shaft (shaft that connects to engine) I was able to slide it out with no problem then I pulled the bearing housing and got all of the seals and bearing out. the bearing was pretty stiff and in need of replacement. when I slid the old bearing on the shaft it slides on and off with no effort. the shaft shows no sign of wear and or heat transfer anywhere on it. when I got the new bearings in...same thing. I measured the shaft which comes out to .783 to .784 and the I.D. of the new bearing is .785 same thing on the old bearing. so is this suppose to be like that or is the bearing suppose to fit tighter on there; or is it wrong from the factory. Or are they allowing for heat expansion. Noone in cali has a new shaft for me to measure to compare to. I dont just want to slap it back together and hope for the best; this goes against everything I know in my line of work, Also if you know why this is like that I would like to know what you dofor futire referance, Any help will be great thanks

+1
    perfect fit i would say make sure you pack the seals fully with grease.

Nicjak.....can you tell me why this is not a tighter fit, two thousands it is loose enough to where the shaft will spin in the bearing

+1
    if you are replacing with the same bearing and the shaft has no signs of burning or grabbing i would guess there isnt an issue, are you checking actually where the bearing sits?

It is the same bearing and the area where the bearing and seals sit is about a 4 inch machined area. I can see where the bearing and everything rode but no change in measurement all across that area, I just want to ensure that it is right and not wrong from factory....It could of been a friday at 5 pm assy and needs to be corrected lol

+1
    guess you need someone to measure theres then

Quote Originally Posted by yahmadog4 View Post
    Ok so I have an 07 Kawi ultra LX that only has 27 hrs on it, Any help will be great thanks
    The BEST thing you can do for your LX is to upgrade to 2011 300X shaft setup.
    You will need following parts in "addition" to what you have:
    1. shaft
    2. front bearing (one more)
    3. nut

Above setup can save your motor.

I have no problem lookn into doin that but what is the differance between the two set ups and what will i gain with an extra bearing aside from support

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by yahmadog4 View Post
    I have no problem lookn into doin that but what is the differance between the two set ups and what will i gain with an extra bearing aside from support
    Cheap engine insurance! While it's out just do the mod..........

Ok i look on the microphice for the 07 300 x and the drive shaft set up is the exact same as i already have.....now on the impellar shaft it shows a total of 3 bearings.....already got that done. The part im talking about is just past where the engine couples with the drive shaft where the shaft passes through the hull. Its the bearing in there that im questioning the tolerance of

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information