Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 26
  1. #1

    Valve Dropped - Huge Repair Bill - HELP PLS!

    Hi guys, wanted to ask a question and would like any feedback. Was on the water the other day with my 2004 RXP 215, and it suddenly stopped.. i tried cranking it but it would turn over. Ill cut to the chase, the valve dropped and upon doing my research its a common problem in the 2003-2007 RXP's due to the sodium filled valves.

    As i read more and more, it seemed that a lot of those who experienced valve's which dropped had previously sunk the ski or allowed saltwater to get into the engine. Which rusted up the valve, and caused it melt when running full throttle in the following usage hours. I believe this is exactly what happened to me. I had sunk it roughly 5 usage hours before the breakdown, and the Sea-doo dealership mechanic repaired the damage after it sunk.

    The mechanic knew the jetski had been sunk, and in the repair bill only included a change of the impeller (something was jammed there which cause the sinking) and did not make any mention of the changing of the valves (as it had now made contact with saltwater) which on later use caused this massive problem. Neither in the whole life of the jetski did that same mechanic (same guy who services the ski all the time) make any mention to a changing of the valves to the new stronger 1's that are not sodium filled.

    As i did my research it seemed as if they did their best to push me to have these problems.. and wanted me to have this massive repair bills for their profit. Currently im not able to pay off the bill.. is there someway we can push the dealership to repair or replace the engine free of cost?

    Any help would be so gratefully appreciated guys! I don't wanna throw it away, its only got 120 hours on it.. and a brand new paintjob.


  2. #2

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Toledo, Ohio
    Posts
    199
    +1
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by L.Sperinck View Post
    Hi guys, wanted to ask a question and would like any feedback. Was on the water the other day with my 2004 RXP 215, and it suddenly stopped.. i tried cranking it but it would turn over. Ill cut to the chase, the valve dropped and upon doing my research its a common problem in the 2003-2007 RXP's due to the sodium filled valves.

    As i read more and more, it seemed that a lot of those who experienced valve's which dropped had previously sunk the ski or allowed saltwater to get into the engine. Which rusted up the valve, and caused it melt when running full throttle in the following usage hours. I believe this is exactly what happened to me. I had sunk it roughly 5 usage hours before the breakdown, and the Sea-doo dealership mechanic repaired the damage after it sunk.

    The mechanic knew the jetski had been sunk, and in the repair bill only included a change of the impeller (something was jammed there which cause the sinking) and did not make any mention of the changing of the valves (as it had now made contact with saltwater) which on later use caused this massive problem. Neither in the whole life of the jetski did that same mechanic (same guy who services the ski all the time) make any mention to a changing of the valves to the new stronger 1's that are not sodium filled.

    As i did my research it seemed as if they did their best to push me to have these problems.. and wanted me to have this massive repair bills for their profit. Currently im not able to pay off the bill.. is there someway we can push the dealership to repair or replace the engine free of cost?

    Any help would be so gratefully appreciated guys! I don't wanna throw it away, its only got 120 hours on it.. and a brand new paintjob.

    Good luck with getting them to pay for it, I bet that half of the dealer mechanics dont even know about the potential valve problems.

  3. #3
    Every adventure comes to an end........ Not Today! wreckingball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    San Diego, California, United States
    Posts
    1,347
    +1
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Boosted3s View Post
    Good luck with getting them to pay for it, I bet that half of the dealer mechanics dont even know about the potential valve problems.
    Most shops have a counter rep and you never meet or talk with the tech. At least most of the larger reputable shops. And a lot of times they get tired of asking the customer to pony up $1000-$1500 for them to do a new valve job for you when you ski is currently running. Most people don't want to spend that kind of money when what they have "could be fine".

    Unless seadoo put out a service bulletin notifying dealers to swap out the valves, it's on the owner to be responsible for any work they choose to have done.

    Sorry to hear about your ski. I'd pull the motor yourself and tear it down yourself. If you are lucky with the extent of damage, maybe just sending the head to a machine shop to have new valves cut in and a new piston will get you going again? You won't know how bad until you disassemble your motor.

  4. #4
    I saw the extent of the problem, its huge. A lot has to be changed i have a qoute from them of the parts to be changed and the costs.

    Piston Assy
    Connecting Rod Assy
    Camshaft chain
    Cylinder gasket
    intake and exhaust valves (6 each) sets.

    Shouldn't it be the mechanics job to ensure the safety of the engine. He knew the valves had been suck in saltwater, why would he have warned they be should be changed for extra safety. Spending $500 on valves to save an inevitable $5000 dollar job is an obvious decision.

    Thing is this has not been the first time its been to the shop, ever since i bought it used about 5 months ago, it has never docked in the marina overnight, every single trip i make to the marina to ride the jetski, i find out a problem and have to take it back to the dealers. I've have less than 10 personal hours on it.. over the span of 5 months because i've never had it running well. They have never done a solid job on it.

    Quote Originally Posted by wreckingball View Post
    Most shops have a counter rep and you never meet or talk with the tech. At least most of the larger reputable shops. And a lot of times they get tired of asking the customer to pony up $1000-$1500 for them to do a new valve job for you when you ski is currently running. Most people don't want to spend that kind of money when what they have "could be fine".

    Unless seadoo put out a service bulletin notifying dealers to swap out the valves, it's on the owner to be responsible for any work they choose to have done.

    Sorry to hear about your ski. I'd pull the motor yourself and tear it down yourself. If you are lucky with the extent of damage, maybe just sending the head to a machine shop to have new valves cut in and a new piston will get you going again? You won't know how bad until you disassemble your motor.

  5. #5
    83.0 @ 8400 jhill19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Teays Valley, West Virginia
    Posts
    2,800
    +1
    81
    That's a dealer for you, sometimes they don't even know what's going on. That's why the only time mine goes to the dealer is for code clearing on buds

  6. #6
    Every adventure comes to an end........ Not Today! wreckingball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    San Diego, California, United States
    Posts
    1,347
    +1
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by jhill19 View Post
    That's a dealer for you, sometimes they don't even know what's going on. That's why the only time mine goes to the dealer is for code clearing on buds
    +1

    Damage sounds light to me. Could have been WAY worse. Cases alone are $1800 if you dropped part of your rod or piston out the bottom.

    I wouldn't let the shop do your valves unless that have an onsite machine shop. Do some research and you can find some machine shops that specialize in PWC work and can upgrade your valves and port your head for cheaper than the dealer. If you have any mechanical skills, you can get a service manual and rebuild your own motor.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    n.j.
    Posts
    457
    why is it the dealers fault? he can't fix what's not broken at that time nor can he see the future. but as far as recommending valves, that he should've done. I would blame the every trip problems on the previous owner. and I'm not sticking up or the dealers, and it would've cost you more than $500 to replace the valves.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Birmingham AL
    Posts
    2,924
    +1
    2
    Hey man where are you? (location) Its not a hard job to fix your ski just takes some time and a Ball park for parts to fix you ski right is about 1000. Ask me how I know...

    I know a guy who can do it for you hell I can even do it for you I am doing one right now some problem.

  9. #9
    It is funny how everyone jumps the gun and blames the dealer. Trust me I do not care much for dealers myself. The ski is getting old by time not hours. Not being used is very hard on these skis. Water remains in waterbox and it will evaporate and were does this moisture go? It will collect on everthing and if it is salt water that is bad. I have seen and worked on these 4-tecs since they came out in 02. Salt destroys everything, inside and out. The valves are the same from 02. The 215+ units run harder, more heat and forced induction. The material was made better in 06. But salt water will destroy those too. I've seen newer skis float an intake valve and dropping it into the chamber and breaking it. These machines require alot of care to last especially in salt water. They are not designed to last forever. Nothing mechanical last forever, it will break someday no matter how good you take care of it. With a used ski most of the time you do not know how it was really taken care of and used. Water destroys everthing.

  10. #10
    @ lvnspeed, i live in the middle east, thank you for your offer but it won't be possible.

    The manager at the dealership knows we're very unhappy with the service we're getting, maybe this time he knows the problems i've been facing have gone overboard and i will put through a good arguement (doing the research to persuade them) and hopefully, if not have them repair it, at least take of the labour costs or have them talk to sea-doo to replace the parts.




    I agree with what your saying.

    Quote Originally Posted by RossM View Post
    It is funny how everyone jumps the gun and blames the dealer. Trust me I do not care much for dealers myself. The ski is getting old by time not hours. Not being used is very hard on these skis. Water remains in waterbox and it will evaporate and were does this moisture go? It will collect on everthing and if it is salt water that is bad. I have seen and worked on these 4-tecs since they came out in 02. Salt destroys everything, inside and out. The valves are the same from 02. The 215+ units run harder, more heat and forced induction. The material was made better in 06. But salt water will destroy those too. I've seen newer skis float an intake valve and dropping it into the chamber and breaking it. These machines require alot of care to last especially in salt water. They are not designed to last forever. Nothing mechanical last forever, it will break someday no matter how good you take care of it. With a used ski most of the time you do not know how it was really taken care of and used. Water destroys everthing.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Help Pls. Is this just a gelcoat or also a fiberglass repair?
    By darrencham in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 10-05-2015, 07:33 PM
  2. Replies: 16
    Last Post: 07-31-2014, 09:28 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-09-2008, 05:40 PM
  4. Service & Repair Tools Help!!!!!!!!!!
    By king motorsports in forum Sea Doo Open Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-23-2008, 01:20 AM
  5. bill, Help...
    By timmy_philson in forum 2-Stroke Performance
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-06-2007, 12:32 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •