Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

96. Waveventure - no power

Bought a used 96 waveventure w/ 79 hours. Ski has a 700 engine w/ 135 psi on front cylinder and 133 on rear cylinder. Blocked the oil injection, replaced plugs and changed fuel filter. Premixed gas in tank, bled fuel line to ensure mixed fuel was getting to the engine. Bypassed fuel selector valve encase it had gummed up. Ski starts instantly when start button is pressed in and out of the water. Filled tank w/ noneth. Fuel and mixed it 40:1. First time out ski topped out around 20 mph on speedo. Seemed like it was not full power so I turned and went back to the dock. Got it home, compression checked again and was the same as above. Took out a week later and it will only go about 5mph on the speedo. No power and the engine feels like it is missing on acceleration. Its a twin carb setup. Any thoughts? My guess is the carbs need to be rebuilt, but not sure what else I should check. Thanks for the input!

+1
    Check your exhaust hoses. One issue I had with mine is that the rear section of the muffler can get clogged up with sand/oxidization and prevents the cooling water from mixing into the waterbox. Two things happen. The waterbox gets *very* hot and worst case the rubber hose going from the muffler to the waterbox will split. When that happens there is not enough fresh air to run the motor and it runs like crap, as it is now putting the exhaust into the hull. If you run it and the waterbox is too hot to touch (if it boils the water off of it if you splash some on it), you will know that is the problem. Of course this is only a guess, but happened to one of mine. Could be carbs too. If you goose the throttle on it does it get any better? Quick on an off to see if you can get passed a dead spot?

Quote Originally Posted by SurfRider View Post
    Check your exhaust hoses. One issue I had with mine is that the rear section of the muffler can get clogged up with sand/oxidization and prevents the cooling water from mixing into the waterbox. Two things happen. The waterbox gets *very* hot and worst case the rubber hose going from the muffler to the waterbox will split. When that happens there is not enough fresh air to run the motor and it runs like crap, as it is now putting the exhaust into the hull. If you run it and the waterbox is too hot to touch (if it boils the water off of it if you splash some on it), you will know that is the problem. Of course this is only a guess, but happened to one of mine. Could be carbs too. If you goose the throttle on it does it get any better? Quick on an off to see if you can get passed a dead spot?
    Surfrider,
    I'll try to check what you said about the waterbox and let you know what I find. To answer your question, it doesnt seem to improve if you goose it. Forgot to mention, this is a twin carb setup. Read something last night that is making me think the carbs are out of sync. Guy I bought it from said he rebuilt the carbs before I got it.

When you converted it to premix what did you do with the oil tank and electronics? if you just drained the tank it will activate a sensor and put it in limp mode. I think there is a way to bypass the sensor but not sure how. I left my tank in place and just zip tied the float up. That way if I ever sold it and they wanted the injection it would be easy to convert back.

Quote Originally Posted by desertdeweller View Post
    When you converted it to premix what did you do with the oil tank and electronics? if you just drained the tank it will activate a sensor and put it in limp mode. I think there is a way to bypass the sensor but not sure how. I left my tank in place and just zip tied the float up. That way if I ever sold it and they wanted the injection it would be easy to convert back.
    I didnt think there was a sensor on these old skis to put them in to a limp mode. I converted an 1100 venture the same way and didnt have any problems from it. I draned the tank and left it in the ski with sensor still in tank. Anyone else know about this?

I have a 96 waveraider myself the venture may not be set up with one. My raider has a sensor built into the float mechanism to protect the engine in case some one forgets to put oil in the tank. Once the oil gets down so far it goes into limp mode. I don`t know if it can be just unplugged or not. Mine also has a temp sensor so if you get a blockage in the cooling system it goes into limp.

a simple fix may be the fact that its not completely in the forward detent for your forward/reverse.
    Ive had this happen more than once on a Venture.
    Hows the wear ring and impeller?

Quote Originally Posted by 96Waveventure700 View Post
    a simple fix may be the fact that its not completely in the forward detent for your forward/reverse.
    Ive had this happen more than once on a Venture.
    Hows the wear ring and impeller?
    Wear ring looks good, with no cavitation burns and impellor is in godd shape - not bent on the edges and the tolerances look perfect.

Okay, so I've checked the waterbox, it is not getting too hot. Reverse gate is set correctly, so it is not blacking the nozzle on acceleration. I did notice the throttle stop on one of the carbs was almost completely closed compared to the other one, so I adjusted that and headed for the water. Same result, no power and will not accelerate above 5 mph. So, when I got home, I removed the spark plug boot from the front cylinder and it would not run. Put it back on and removed the rear plug boot and the ski started and ran. Put them both on, started the ski then removed the front plug boot and the ski died. Think I have a bad coil pack. Anyone else have any input before I replace the coil pack?

coils dont like an open circuit
    if you need to check for spark get a tester that will simulate a plug
    could be just a bad boot/wire

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information