Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Help with a Bow Stop Set Up

I am having problems configuring my bow stop. Below is 3 pictures, the first is the bow stop right before I crank the ski all the way up with the wynch to where it would be if I was driving it. The 2nd two pictures show how the ski rests after i crank it up. The two ends of the bow stop touch the hull of the ski and bend to the pressure of the weight as seen in the picture. The bow eye does not touch the blue roller at all. The top of the ski though (the lip) does rest and carries some weight load as the roller bends slightly where the lip rests down on it as you can also see in the picture ( although it does not bend anywhere near as much as the ends touching the hall).

Is this correct? If I drop the bow stop down another notch, then it doesnt touch the lip, but the two ends also dont touch the hull (a couple centimeters of space is there). The only part of the ski that touches the roller is just the bow eye, but this looks less sturdy for driving.

Any suggestions? I am driving a long distance with the ski this Friday and want to make this as safe as possible for sturdiness but also to protect the ski on a long bumpy trip.

Any advice is appreciated!

Name:  162.jpg
Views: 1864
Size:  12.7 KBName:  160.jpg
Views: 1880
Size:  11.4 KBName:  158.jpg
Views: 1888
Size:  11.7 KB

BTW I have a Yamaha FX HO 2005 and a Karavan trailer in case that helps

My english sucks, but i´ll do my best.

I think the best position for the pwc is like 3rd pic, also if you are going to drive a long distance then considerate a secure chain in the front and a pair of tie downs in the rear of the ski and that's all.

I would rest the bow wheel on the tow hook of the ski. That way, when you drop your ski in the water, it will not rub the front bumper of the ski as the ski tends to lean forward when you drop it down the ramp. So I would maybe try one spot lower than your middle picture.

I have my bow stop positioned below the hook. This allows me to snug it right up to it without it interfering with the wench and it works great and gives me some play to work with if I need it which comes in handy for unlocking the wench for unloading.

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Texan78 View Post
    I have my bow stop positioned below the hook. This allows me to snug it right up to it without it interfering with the wench and it works great and gives me some play to work with if I need it which comes in handy for unlocking the wench for unloading.

With the roller down below the hook, there is nothing to keep the ski from going up and /or over the top of the winch if you make a hard stop or if you should happen to hit anything and make a hard sudden stop. Not a good idea at all. It needs to be above the hook with the winch strap coming from underneath the roller. That will pull the ski down into the roller and not allow it to move forward in a sudden stop. Also need to strap down the rear of the ski

Can't go forward because the tie downs in the back which there is two, one for each side keep it from going forward and holds the back down. With it this way, it pulls the ski down tight and snugs it to the bow stop and it doesn't move at all. Been doing it that for for 15+ years and never once had a problem and I have trailered it over thousands of miles.

Banned User
    +1
    Its your ski and trailer and you can do it however you want. But that setup is not safe. Rear tie downs will not keep it from moving forward. With the roller up hiigh and the strap under it the ski cannot move forward at all. Just because you haven't had a problem yet doesn't make it right. I tow mine thousands of miles a year. If you ever slam on the brakes or heaven forbid you get hit from behind or you hit something, that ski is coming over the front of the trailer the way its on there now. Its your ski and you can do whatever you want, but that is not safe.
    Last edited by Mr. Matrix; 02-12-2012 at 03:19 PM.

It's very safe, it doesn't move at all and you can't tell from the picture but it can't move forward anyways. It keeps it snug down and yes the tie downs in the back don't allow it to move forward anyways because the ski doesn't hang over the back at all so snugs it down and pulls it to the back. So if it did try to move forward the tie downs in the back would prevent it. Trust me it doesn't move. You try to pick up the front of the ski and you're picking up the trailer too. You can shake the shit out of from the front shaking it up and down and it doesn't budge. If I was to get rear ended the least of my worries will be my ski because it will be totaled anyways and it won't matter how it's sitting of where it goes. I would be more worried about if me or anyone else is injured. Even slamming on the brakes it doesn't shift at all. I know several people who tow theirs this exact way.

You can even do a Google search and see many do it this way, because it pulls the ski down snug which is what you want.

Here's one...

And another...

Yet another one...

You get the point, I personally like it better this way because it snugs it down and keeps it from bouncing. With it over the eye all it does it pull it forward, nothing keeps it snugged down. If it's snugged down, it can't move at all. A lot of it has to do with the way you trailer is designed too. So yes, it's perfectly safe because it can't move at all.

Banned User
    +1
    That last picture perfectly shows what I am talking about. If you keep cranking the winch when will the ski stop? When you are our of strap. That ski can move forward and over that bow roller, especially with a foot of strap sticking out. I will post a pic in a little bit of my setup. They way they are on mine the ski is pulled forward as well as down into the roller. Mine won't move even without rear tie downs. The purpose of the rear tie downs is to keep the ski from bouncing on the bunks and that's it. The last thing in the world you want is the ski coming through the back of your tow vehicle in an accident. I don't want to see anyone get hurt.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information