Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    A child of five would understand this. Go get one. pierowman's Avatar
    +1

Go 1200r still having issue even after rebuid

Gp1200r 2001

So I ran into the common issue with th oil line popping off in cylinder #3. Did a compression test and found that it was reading 90psi. So i did a rebuild on that cylinder and closed it back up and did a compression check and it showed 120 matching the other cylinders so I think I'm good. Coarse fixed the oil issue. Took the ski back out and not long after running in the water it Boggs down.

could I have a spun bearing? Not really sure what else to check ? Any advise?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by pierowman View Post
    Gp1200r 2001

So I ran into the common issue with th oil line popping off in cylinder #3. Did a compression test and found that it was reading 90psi. So i did a rebuild on that cylinder and closed it back up and did a compression check and it showed 120 matching the other cylinders so I think I'm good. Coarse fixed the oil issue. Took the ski back out and not long after running in the water it Boggs down.

could I have a spun bearing? Not really sure what else to check ? Any advise?
    Check the compression again you should premix your fuel after an oil line issue and rebuild at least 1 tank of fuel. just to make sure everything is getting oiled properly. also check the power valves are they cycling when start stop.

+1
    I cleaned the power valves during the rebuild. They are cycling. I rechecked the compression and still looks good.

you think adding extra oil might make the difference?

+1
    Pull your plugs to see if they burnt or oily if they look like they have been hot and you still have compression then yes premix some oil in the fuel at least 40/1 ratio.

Also what are the symptoms of your problem. does it idle good then not take fuel, does it run good to half throttle. Need more info.

+1
    Idle seems fine other than the prop making noise but that goes away once a little power is added its always been that way since new.

it was the first time out so I babied it. Throttle response would start out good. I slowly increased throttle until I was going about 35 on the dream o meter. This was not very long maybe a few minutes. Then I started to lose power and the ski sounded like it had something stuck in it. If I idled for a bit the power would return but only for a few seconds. Before making the sound again. If I really wanted to I could still give it gas and it would accelerate but like it was being held back. This was similar to the symptoms I experienced which lead me to the rebuild in the first place. Which like you suggested earlier was why I checked the compression again when I got home. Also the amount of time before this started happening when I would take the ski out has decreased by a lot. It used to take like 15min now it was much less.

not sure about the plugs thou. I didn't really notice anything last night when I took them out. They weren't dry but I wasn't really looking. I can look at them again when I get off from work. Possibly run it for a minute or two on the trailer.

+1
    so I looked at the spark plugs they look ok they are wet. I dont think I ran it long enough to know if its getting to hot, they are not white. Is it possible that the bearings on the impeller could be binding? And it just so happened to reveal the oil and compression issues? Most people I hear about having oil issue had very low psi when they checked their compression like 30 instead of the 90 I had. I put some grease into the bearing for the impeller it seemed to need quite a bit also seemed to quite it down at idle. Although I haven't heard any bearing noise when I'm in the water. Thoughts?

that sure sounds like a fuel/carb issue. a close look at your plugs could have you $$$. if they are grey call it a day. you can pull the choke about 1/2 out and see if it clears up but only for a test. DO NOT run more than a pass or 2 depending on a choke to richen it up. 2 stroke give you warnings, just really small ones. like a hard start or a little stumble then that fail dramatically.

when i rebuild a top end on a xl or gp 1200 Powervalves are usally the culprit on engine issues here. Take your power valves out and clean them real good , take the two allen head screws out and clean everthing real good, look for signs of wear and tear. On the powervalves its usally under the brass keeper that will have problems like a broken piece will get caught in the cylinders or exhaust header .

2nd thing i always rebuilt each carberator with new gaskets and perform a leakdown test to make sure the pto and mag seals are intack usally 4 -10 psi works the best. I have seen a broken seal tear up and engine so fast it will make your head spin.

+1
    so I took it back out after the suggestions here and I think your all right. The carb needs some TLC. If I played with the choke I could make it start to work. Thanks for the help.

+1
    You mentioned that the prop was making noise. Is the clearance even or is the wear ring starting to contact the impeller?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information