Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sl650 no power, runs like weeds in propeller, but its clear

I have a 1995 sl 650 ski that ran great , then a rock got sucked up in it. after that it runs good but when you go to throttle up, it revs up but wont go any faster. it acts like you sucked up a bunch of weeds but it is 100% cleaned out. Looking for some help? Thank you.

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    You may have tore the prop up (edges) now it cavatates. You need to check that prop out. Good news is the 146mm props are everywhere and normally cheap,as the 650 is the only Polaris to use that size,the rest are 148mm dia.

+1
    You need to remove the pump and inspect the splines on the drive shaft. Also, be sure to inspect the splines in the impeller and the drive coupler on the engine. It's possible when the rock lodged it caused the splines to slip and 'stripped' them. Another possibility is the rock ground away at your impeller and wear ring causing excess clearance between them. This can cause cavitation and a lack of 'bite' on the water, so the motor will rev up as normal but you won't get thrust. A third option is you have a rubber bonded coupler on the engine. If the impeller got locked in place by the rock, the coupler may have slipped (as it's designed to do) and is now losing grip under load. That will also allow the engine to rev but does not apply torque to the impeller.

KJ

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Keddano View Post
    .....Good news is the 146mm props are everywhere and normally cheap,as the 650 is the only Polaris to use that size,the rest are 148mm dia.
    Did the 650 still use the 146mm in the '95 model? I thought all models changed to the 148mm pump starting with the 1994 model year. I know in '92-'93 both the 650 and 750 used the 146.

The '92-'98 Factory Manual lists pump removal in 2 different groups: '92-'93 non-modular pumps and then '94 to current. It doesn't differentiate between models.

KJ

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsonmtz View Post
    Did the 650 still use the 146mm in the '95 model? I thought all models changed to the 148mm pump starting with the 1994 model year. I know in '92-'93 both the 650 and 750 used the 146.

The '92-'98 Factory Manual lists pump removal in 2 different groups: '92-'93 non-modular pumps and then '94 to current. It doesn't differentiate between models.

KJ
    I think your right Kevin, I was thinking it was just 650's, but then you jiggled the dust.....Again,it suks getting old.

+1
    Does the ski move at all or won't go beyond idle speed with motor revving? If it won't move at all you stripped the splines off the driveshaft most likely, if they haven't been greased as required the splines get worn & eventually strip & that rock would be enough to do it. If this is a SL650 model with STD listed on the graphics it came with an alum impeller, very easy to take a blade off with a rock. Either way should be a rather easy repair. And yes the 94 & 95 650 used the 148 mm impeller.

Banned User
    +1
    Check the impeller blades and stator vanes.

Quote Originally Posted by RLACEMAN View Post
    Does the ski move at all or won't go beyond idle speed with motor revving? If it won't move at all you stripped the splines off the driveshaft most likely, if they haven't been greased as required the splines get worn & eventually strip & that rock would be enough to do it. If this is a SL650 model with STD listed on the graphics it came with an alum impeller, very easy to take a blade off with a rock. Either way should be a rather easy repair. And yes the 94 & 95 650 used the 148 mm impeller.
    It doesn't go much above idle speed, then it just revs up with no thrust. i will pull the jet off the back and take a look at the impeller and shaft. the blade looks good, i dont see any defects, but i will check the gap around it. the bushing could be worn. thanks for your help.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by so/20 View Post
    It doesn't go much above idle speed, then it just revs up with no thrust.
    Then I would say you've either trashed the splines on the driveshaft or the rubber bonded drive coupler has broken loose. Either way, the pump needs to come out for diagnosis.

Good luck.

KJ

Banned User
    +1
    I bet its a driveshaft/coupler.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information