Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Inter Shaft

Inter Shaft

Hi all. I've had the intermediate shaft strip out on my XL1200Ltd. I was only 500 yards out to sea with a rising tide luckily, so it drifted me back to the beach! I replaced it 4 years ago, complete with a new driveshaft, but it's well and truly [email protected]@@ed. Thankfully the driveshaft is still looking good. Has anyone tried the SBT replacement for the inter shaft at $129.95, as this is way cheaper than anywhere else (£350GBP here in rip-off UK!). Please let me know if you think it's worth the money, or has anyone got a GOOD one for sale, and would ship to UK. Cheers, dave

Quote Originally Posted by pauladave View Post
    Hi all. I've had the intermediate shaft strip out on my XL1200Ltd. I was only 500 yards out to sea with a rising tide luckily, so it drifted me back to the beach! I replaced it 4 years ago, complete with a new driveshaft, but it's well and truly [email protected]@@ed. Thankfully the driveshaft is still looking good. Has anyone tried the SBT replacement for the inter shaft at $129.95, as this is way cheaper than anywhere else (£350GBP here in rip-off UK!). Please let me know if you think it's worth the money, or has anyone got a GOOD one for sale, and would ship to UK. Cheers, dave
    Dave check with crashhard (joe) shoot him a PM... maybe he has or can locate a good oem one for ya...

+1
    What year is it? I have one from a 2000 GPR, will work with these skis: 66V-51323-01-00 YAMAHA SHAFT, COUPLOR $215.72

Pics are here: FS 2000 GPR Part-Out

Quote Originally Posted by Pale Rider View Post
    Dave check with crashhard (joe) shoot him a PM... maybe he has or can locate a good oem one for ya...
    Thank's I'll try him. Cheers, Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by rangermtb5 View Post
    What year is it? I have one from a 2000 GPR, will work with these skis: 66V-51323-01-00 YAMAHA SHAFT, COUPLOR $215.72

Pics are here: FS 2000 GPR Part-Out
    PM sent.

+1
    got one

Thank's for your replies guys, but what I've found is worrying! On closer inspection, the inter shaft looked pretty unworn. I checked where the driveshaft had been worn by the 2 'O'rings on the inter shaft, and it seems that the driveshaft was only just inside the inter shaft! I reckon it was connected by less than 1/4", so it's just had enough of trying to hold on! When I've measured the length of the driveshaft it is 30+1/4", but the correct length should be 36+1/4" (although that sounds too long), according to the specs on a site I visited (part# 66V4511-00-00). I reckon it should be about 2" longer than the one I've got. I ordered the correct shaft a couple of years ago, but was obviously sent the wrong one. Had it been another 1/4" shorter it wouldn't have mated up at all, and I'd have known there was a problem. I'm just amazed it's hung on for a good 45 hours with just 1/4" inserted! I'm now looking to extend the driveshaft (it may be a job for a good engineer, but I'll need convincing his welding is good, and the shaft is straight and balanced), or a new driveshaft. Can anyone confirm what the correct length of an XL1200 Ltd driveshaft should be? Thank's again, Dave.

+1
    More than likely, you were sold the wrong shaft. The 2002 GPR shafts are shorter then all of the other GPR's. I do not know about weather the 3 seaters have different shaft lengths, but you should check on this, and if you have your original paperwork, you may find that you were sold the wrong one.

Who knows, you may have been sold a 2002 GPR shaft.

Quote Originally Posted by salty View Post
    More than likely, you were sold the wrong shaft. The 2002 GPR shafts are shorter then all of the other GPR's. I do not know about weather the 3 seaters have different shaft lengths, but you should check on this, and if you have your original paperwork, you may find that you were sold the wrong one.

Who knows, you may have been sold a 2002 GPR shaft.
    Thank's Salty. I've no paperwork for the shaft, so I'll try to identify it from the length and try sell it on Ebay. It's in pretty good condition, so I may get lucky! If anyone can confirm the 2002 GPR shaft is 30+1/8" I'd be grateful, as I don't want to advertise it without knowing what it's off.

+1
    snap a pic of your intermediate shaft
    there are 2 different ones

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information