2005 Ultra 150 Top End

So my Ultra seized up the Rear piston, but broke free while on the water. It ran, but you could tell that something was not right.

Well I tore the top end down and found what caused it, the oil line came off of the rear counterbalance bearing. From talking to some people, this is very common. On this note, what is the best way to make sure that this does not happen again? Would putting a regular hose clamp on it be a good idea? I plan on replacing all of the oil lines.

As far as fixing the top end, I am going to replace all three pistons, and am thinking about sending all three cylinders off to be replated.
    Would there be any need to split the cases? The crank spins smooth, and none of the bearings have any play in them. I want to be thorough, but do not want to waste time doing unneeded work. I have plenty of other things to keep me busy!

Well, I decided to split the cases to be thorough. Good thing to, the crank bearings have some noise in them, so they probably would not have lasted to long. Other than needing new bearings and seals, I do not believe that there is anything else wrong with the crank.

Problem now is, is it possible to replace the bearings myself??? I do not see how it all comes apart, unless I am missing something.

Can someone help me please?

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    I think they need to be pressed apart, not something you can do on your own.

Sean

Thanks

If you are not racing, price out a hot rods crank, and refinish the rear cylinder, with A piston and fresh rings. I turn a good rpm with a their seadoo 951 crank, and have been fortunate enough to not have any issues.

I know that motor, and helped rebuild one for a friend once, but it has been a while. If a hoseclamp isn't a good fit, try running a zip tie. Pulled tight, it should fine, but test it out. All lines should have some type of fastener on them. It's not worth the trouble that has been created for you.

Consider a rebuild on those carbs as well. If I recall correctly, they are not the best.

+1
    The best way to secure the oil lines is to put stainless steel safety wire on them. Two wraps with some .025" wire, then twist the ends until it's really snug. Don't go so tight that the wire breaks or the hose is damaged. When done, cut the twisted wire off about 3/4" from the hose, then use needle nose pliers to bend the end over so you don't stab yourself on it later.

The wire idea sounds good to me, it had a flimsy wire clamp on it before. I need to come up with the extra 500 for the crank, and then I am going to start putting it all back together.

i agree buy a new crank. its too involved to fix and its just cost effective with labor and parts to jut buy a HR crank

Thread Information