Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 118
  1. #1
    Lightning Struck's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Davenoprt Iowa
    Posts
    714
    +1
    10

    Lightning Struck's FZR Build

    Ok... This might be "slow going"...But I figured I should start a build thread and let everyone know my trials and tribulations.

    I never GPS'd my stock FZR(probably should have), but I did after the Tommy free exhaust mod(which cost 50 cents), and the Autozone intake.. Which in the heat of summer got me 69.7 mph.

    I then added the Jet Draft sponsons, and in cooler water and air, I got 71.5mph. I don't attribute the entire gain to merely the sponsons, as air and water temps had a large roll to play I believe, but the sponsons made the ski much more fun to play around on, doing donuts and other tom foolery.

    The next round of mods over the winter(I've only been in this hobby for 5 months) are:



    ET 15.5 wheel, JD intake manifold sleeve, and Type 14 intercooler.

    I've already installed the R&D intake grate, which if you haven't done...DO IT!!! It's a safety thing, plus it really settles down the ski!

    When I come back onto the water next spring, it's going to be something... Here in Iowa I'm done(already winterized the ski) but that just means it's mod time!! I'm holding off on Engine management, due to the possibility of a nice profit sharing check which might just get me a motec....We'll see.. The overall goal is 80-85mph, which will decimate all the ski's around here, as well as boats on the Missississsisssisssippi(did I spell that right?)


  2. #2
    Lightning Struck's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Davenoprt Iowa
    Posts
    714
    +1
    10
    Received my Jet Draft rear exhaust kit today.



    Nice looking kit, and the cost difference between the Riva kit is an eye opener. It exits on the opposite side, so it doesn't cross the pump tunnel. I'm going to try to get it installed tommorow, and throw the battery back in it, and fire it up briefly to see the sound difference

  3. #3
    Lightning Struck's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Davenoprt Iowa
    Posts
    714
    +1
    10
    Install on the JD exhaust was relatively easy. I pulled the pump unit off, since I'm done riding, and am probably going to step up to a 160mm setup. I still haven't been able to get to the very back clamp to tighten everything up, since I don't have 4 ft arms, and I didn't have my torx bits with me..





    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...00765397923358

    lol, the shoes were used as make shift wheel chocks for a bit, till I got fed up, and hooked the truck back up. My cellphone camera doesn't do the best job on picking up the sound, but it's alot throatier and deeper, and of course louder.. I like it alot.. Sounds nothing like my buddies Kawi 260x with the Riva exhaust, that's for sure
    Last edited by Lightning Struck; 09-28-2011 at 05:26 PM.

  4. #4
    lets race.... mikeFZR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    4,132
    +1
    205
    Awesome build so far
    Being that it is winter, it gives you the oppertunity to go slow and really get the mods done right. You'll have a lot of tuning to do in the spring. My best advice for tuning in the spring is go out 3 days in a row and after each day make chnages as needed. What I'm saying is you want to tune early in the cooler temps so that you can ride all summer and not have to worry about a thing. That's why I love my setup, I know exactly how the ski is running just by looking at the tach.

    Anyways, I look forward to reading more on your build. IMO the projects section has the best information on the entire forum. Keep up the good work!

  5. #5
    lets race.... mikeFZR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    4,132
    +1
    205
    Also, what BOV do you plan on running? I would recommend the R&D Tial with that ET SC wheel.

  6. #6
    Lightning Struck's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Davenoprt Iowa
    Posts
    714
    +1
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeFZR View Post
    Also, what BOV do you plan on running? I would recommend the R&D Tial with that ET SC wheel.
    I plan on TIG'ing the flange for a Tial Q(the same as the R&D).. If I can't fit it on the I/C housing, I'll do a tube adapter on the upper IC hose.

    I also plan on doing my own RRFPR with an Aeromotive FPR.. The thing that slows me down so much is the fact I live in a apartment, and the shop is 150mi away, along with all my tools.. Pulling the pump off was a nightmare, cuz I found out all my 3/8" ratchets were a state away!! LOL Can't wait to finally buy a house, with a BIIIIIG garage

    Also, received my R&D ride plate today from Coco.. So I think the handling mods(R&D grate, JD sponsons, and now the R&D rideplate) are done..


  7. #7
    PWCflorida.com FtLaudBlkGT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    311
    Love it! I ordered my Riva thru-hull exhaust and friday I am mailing Jim a VX plate to modify. Once all those parts get back, I will start slapping them on the FZS and then look at the same intercooler. The nice thing is that we ride all year around here...

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Struck View Post
    Ok... This might be "slow going"...But I figured I should start a build thread and let everyone know my trials and tribulations.

    I never GPS'd my stock FZR(probably should have), but I did after the Tommy free exhaust mod(which cost 50 cents), and the Autozone intake.. Which in the heat of summer got me 69.7 mph.

    I then added the Jet Draft sponsons, and in cooler water and air, I got 71.5mph. I don't attribute the entire gain to merely the sponsons, as air and water temps had a large roll to play I believe, but the sponsons made the ski much more fun to play around on, doing donuts and other tom foolery.

    The next round of mods over the winter(I've only been in this hobby for 5 months) are:



    ET 15.5 wheel, JD intake manifold sleeve, and Type 14 intercooler.

    I've already installed the R&D intake grate, which if you haven't done...DO IT!!! It's a safety thing, plus it really settles down the ski!

    When I come back onto the water next spring, it's going to be something... Here in Iowa I'm done(already winterized the ski) but that just means it's mod time!! I'm holding off on Engine management, due to the possibility of a nice profit sharing check which might just get me a motec....We'll see.. The overall goal is 80-85mph, which will decimate all the ski's around here, as well as boats on the Missississsisssisssippi(did I spell that right?)
    I don't know about decimating all the ski's! Do you ride on 13 or 12 pool? Pm sent!

  9. #9
    dhoad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    North Aurora, Illinois, United States
    Posts
    3,182
    +1
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Muddy River View Post
    I don't know about decimating all the ski's! Do you ride on 13 or 12 pool? Pm sent!
    Don't worry about Muddy and his slow ass being any competition on your stretch of river. lol

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by dhoad View Post
    Don't worry about Muddy and his slow ass being any competition on your stretch of river. lol
    All my skis were slow Douggie Fresh! Please don't scare a potential riding buddy away! Gas prices are too high to come see you guys up at Chicago Waste Water Treatment River to smell 110 Octane! Want to ride this weekend??

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Green Hulk's supercharged FZR build up
    By Green Hulk in forum Yamaha Projects & Build Threads
    Replies: 1975
    Last Post: 12-22-2015, 05:37 PM
  2. mike's stage 1 FZR build thread
    By mikeFZR in forum Yamaha Projects & Build Threads
    Replies: 198
    Last Post: 01-24-2014, 04:24 PM
  3. R-Rated Performance FZR Build
    By BlueRXP in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 12-02-2011, 10:20 PM
  4. My FZR build info
    By Eds_FZR in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 01-13-2010, 01:38 AM
  5. Lightning struck, left in the lightning's wake was the Predator
    By Insanediego Joe in forum Conversion PWC Performance Skis
    Replies: 70
    Last Post: 10-31-2008, 06:07 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •