Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thumbs down 2001 Polaris Genesis won't start

Hey, I'm new to the board and have had my 2001 genesis for a year now. It's been on trailer during the winter and this Christmas I got another jet ski and wanted to try them both out to see how different they were. The new one cranked just fine. When I tried to crank my Genesis it had trouble turning over, I used the choke and nothing happened. I used jumper cables from my new jet ski to the genesis and it cranked for a second then cut off. I never properly winterized it (worked called me away before I could get it done) but, I live in NC and we haven't had a cold winter. I hear from other sites this is the place to take any polaris question so I hope you guys can help me out.

Thanks

+1
    Hi Blink WELCOME to the Green Hulk Forums!!!
    So you're saying the starter doesn't keep turning over or the engine turns over and it just doesn't start?
    How is the battery? Has it been chaged after sitting all that time?

Quote Originally Posted by ph2ocraft View Post
    Hi Blink WELCOME to the Green Hulk Forums!!!
    So you're saying the starter doesn't keep turning over or the engine turns over and it just doesn't start?
    How is the battery? Has it been chaged after sitting all that time?
    Hey, thanks for the response. I'm away from my jetski for the next few days. I've got a 24 hour charger and I'll use that and see what happens.

But right now it is at the point where it sounds like it is going to turn over but can't make it.

+1
    Welcome Blink!!!

First things first. Polaris had a carbed and injected Genisis in 2001... which do you have?

Also, sometimes batteries get to the point where they'll have a surface charge, but that's it. They just need to be replaced SOMETIMES as they will no longer hold a sufficient charge.

+1
    Welcome Blink.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyA View Post
    Welcome Blink!!!

First things first. Polaris had a carbed and injected Genisis in 2001... which do you have?

Also, sometimes batteries get to the point where they'll have a surface charge, but that's it. They just need to be replaced SOMETIMES as they will no longer hold a sufficient charge.
    It's fuel injected

+1
    If you want to take it right from the beginning, then I would say to remove the driveshaft coupler cover (it's right at the rear of the engine) and use this area to make sure the engine and pump are not siezed in any way by making sure that everything spins freely by hand.

If that's OK, then making sure that you have a battery that you absolutely know is good is the next crucial step.

Sound good?

+1
    Blink .You say in your first post you used the choke ,Then you say its injected ??What were you pulling?

Cheers

Bernie

+1
    Good catch Bernie...

Yeah I noticed that too! Thanks. Anyways, got it running the other day, just needed new spark plugs and a 24 hour charge. Everything runs nice now.

Tomorrow it's supposed to about 70 degrees. Going to grab the wetsuit and see how it handles.

Thanks alot. I'm sure if I have anymore questions I'll be coming back here.

BTW I read on this forum about adding an exhaust line to the Genesis? what will this give me? better gas mileage? I'm all for that!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information