+1

PTO bellow with ball bearing need advise quick

The other day someone told me how to take out the drive shaft outwithout a drive shaft tool, however nothing was ever mentioned about the ball bearings inside the PTO bellow and so when I took the drive shaft out this ball bearig piece came off the PTO side. It appears from looking on the Riva website at the OEM replacement part picture that this is all one piece. So now my question is how much harm have I done since it pulled apart from the PTO bellow when I re-install the drive shaft and this goes back in to the boot is it going to seal up correctly or is it going to leak oil all over?

Don't worry, this happens all the time. (it is hard to pull the driveshaft without the bearing popping out if the shaft hasn't come out in awhile...)

Just clean up the mating surfaces (outer bearing, inner boot) with solvent to remove oils, put a thin coat of silicone sealant on the inside of the boot, and press it back in. The silicone helps it slide back in, and helps keep it in place after it sets up. I clamp the oetiker clamp with side cutters to tighten it a bit as well.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Dood View Post
    Don't worry, this happens all the time. (it is hard to pull the driveshaft without the bearing popping out if the shaft hasn't come out in awhile...)

Just clean up the mating surfaces (outer bearing, inner boot) with solvent to remove oils, put a thin coat of silicone sealant on the inside of the boot, and press it back in. The silicone helps it slide back in, and helps keep it in place after it sets up. I clamp the oetiker clamp with side cutters to tighten it a bit as well.

Okay If I do that do I have to use one of those type of clamps (oetiker) or can I just use a regular stainless clamp that you use a screwdriver on? As I don't have the fancy tool that is needed for those clamps.

Thanks

+1
    It will slide right back in.. without messing with clamp... use same style clamp!
    Last edited by Sturm215; 11-01-2011 at 09:57 AM. Reason: clamp

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Sturm215 View Post
    It will slide right back in.. without messing with clamp... but if you want cut clamp off and use a worm clamp.
    +1. Easy fix. No worries there.

My bearing is stuck on my driveshaft in front of my hat..Any tips to get it off? And when I do get it off will it still be okay to use or will I have to buy the whole ball bearing assembly?

+1
    your question was just answered in the other thread.

Thread Information