I need help with a 1989 650sx.

The pump is locked up. Is it better to buy a used pump housing from somone or to just get new bearings put in? Water got into the pump and seizedthe bearings. Doo these pumps have oil or grease? Oil right? Does anyone have a pump that would fit that they could sell me? Also does anyone have a 650 motor? What is the cheapest way to go for the pump? If anyone is good with this ski or if anyone has someparts they want to get rid of shoot me an e-mail. Thanks, Charlie

[email protected]

The best thing to do is to replace the bearings and seals as long as the rest of the pump is not damaged. What condition is the prop shaft? The pump uses grease... not oil. You can normally find replacement parts through Riva Performance with their online parts pages. Its actually pretty easy to do if you have basic mechanic skills and tools.

Pump is fine, and I can't tell if the impeller shaft is ok or not because I didn't get the prop off yet. Riva is a bit expensive, is there anywhere else I can order these bearings and seals? Do I need a hydraulic press or no? Thanks, Charlie

Ok I got the prop off and I found this. The impeller shaft is fine and so are the bearings. The problem was salt got in between the pump andthe steel liner and caused several bulges not allowing the prop to spin. This happened on both pumps on two identical sx's. Can I grind down those humps so it is smooth? How do I get that lier out if the set screw won't turn without stripping or breaking off the screw head? Thanks, Charlie

Both pumps are apart now. Both impeller shafts are fine, all bearings are good both props are a little kniched up on the edges, and the housings are good, and the liners are a little uneven but not that bad, I will try sanding them down in the tight spots. How do I grease the bearings? Just pack a blob in there like I do for trailer bearings?

I believe the jet pump bearings are sealed type that shouldn't be taken apart and greased up. Considering the age of your craft, I would install new bearings since you've gone that far. There are 2 identical bearings and each cost about $19 from a dealer. There may be cheaper aftermarket ones.

+1
    i have lots of 650 parts here if you need. all from, freshwater, clean skis. not sure how to tell you to repair the swollen liner. my fear is, once the corosion has started, it will return.

zig

Thread Information