Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Superchager warranty failure

Hello everyone-
    I joined this forum back in 2007 after I purchased my 2007 RXP to do some research after my supercharger failed. I read all of the horror stories from everyone else and educated myself before doing anything. I took my ski to my local dealer (in Indianapolis) who repaired it under warranty and supposidely fixed everything the right way. It first failed with only 7 hours on the clock. Everything was fine until July of this year when it went out again with 96 hours on it. I contacted the dealer which told me they needed to look at it and that these are performance machines and these things happen (basically a typical problem). They had originally told me the update kit from Sea Doo was being installed and I should not have more problems. I was planning on having the supercharger rebuilt every 100 hours per the recommendations on this site. I took it to a different dealer and they pulled the motor. I just spoke with them yesterday and they said it appeared to have the original crap washers which failed as well as the bearing which destroyed the oil pumps as well which I know can happen. They quoted my 3,200 to fix everything which sounds in line with everything I have read.

So my question is, should I contact Sea Doo to see if they will go after the original dealer since the update kit was not installed? I think the update kit did not come out until 2008, but the dealer assured me they were installing updated washers and that they would not fail again.

I know this topic is on here every where, but this is my specific question so do not yell at me for not searching anything, because I have. I never post anything, but I do come on here all the time and read stuff while at work.

Thanks for any advice anyone may have. -Paul

+1
    I think you where lucky they lasted 89 hrs. Not sure but sounds like you may be sol. Sounds like the original dealer rebuilt the SC with what was available from SD at the time.

Thanks for looking troyheb. I think that is what happened as well. I'm just trying to figure out some options while trying to swallow the 3,200 quote. I had the extended warranty which just expired last summer.

ride it like you stole it!!! raceneked's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by pjames750 View Post
    Thanks for looking troyheb. I think that is what happened as well. I'm just trying to figure out some options while trying to swallow the 3,200 quote. I had the extended warranty which just expired last summer.
    ..that just sucks. Soory to hear of your misfortune

It is unfortunate, but you likely don't have any recourse against the dealer or Sea Doo. (plus, if I am reading it right, you probably had it done by Indy Cycle, who went out of business this summer...I live in Indy too....)

$3200 is pretty steep, but it depends what is damaged. If it is just the pumps, you are only talking a few hundred to replace the pumps and clean everything out. It all depends how far into the engine the little bits of ceramic found their way.

If you mechanically inclined you could tackle it yourself for far less money. If not, there are not too many independent shop options in this area, unfortunately.

Lakeview Marina fixed it under warranty. They just rebuilt the supercharger and said they were using the update kit. I offered to supply metal washers and they said there was no need because they fixing it under warranty and assured me it would not happen again.

3,200 is the quote from 4 seasons motorsports in Greenfield. It is to replace the supercharger and both oil pumps. They said about 2,200 in parts and 700 in labor (not sure where the other 300 comes from). I am mechanically inclined but do not have any experience with watercraft. I am still considering it though.

Thanks for looking racenecked and Sea Dood.

$ 3,200 is way too much to pay for a new SC and oil pumps. Heck, you can rebuild the whole engine for less than that. You can get a totally new SC for $750, each oil pump is about $150, so you are talking roughly $1k in parts. But I personally wouldn't go that route; it would cost about $750 in parts by reusing the SC or buying a used one to start with.

The real work is pulling the engine, splitting it and cleaning it out really good.

Quote Originally Posted by pjames750 View Post
    Lakeview Marina fixed it under warranty. They just rebuilt the supercharger and said they were using the update kit. I offered to supply metal washers and they said there was no need because they fixing it under warranty and assured me it would not happen again.

3,200 is the quote from 4 seasons motorsports in Greenfield. It is to replace the supercharger and both oil pumps. They said about 2,200 in parts and 700 in labor (not sure where the other 300 comes from). I am mechanically inclined but do not have any experience with watercraft. I am still considering it though.

Thanks for looking racenecked and Sea Dood.

+1
    sounds like you have things well documented. what do you have to lose by contacting seadoo or trying to move things up the chain of command. all they can do is say no. Don't know much about the warranty department at seadoo, but maybe somebody there can provide some goodwill. don't hold your breath, but all they can say is no. not like they can make your quote higher at this point.

+1
    I would press the issue, personally. You've got nothing else to lose but some time IMO! rebuild the engine yourself. Or have Slow91 do it. He is kick ass and does great work. JMO!

I am in the process of sending Sea Doo a letter with a copy of my orginal warranty work and the new quoted estimate. I figure I have nothing to lose as well.

The quoted estimate I got today includes several items beyond the oil pumps and supercharger. It includes the timing drive cover (444.94) and the starter double gear (283.24). I will scan a copy of the estimate and post it on hear when I get a chance. The mechanic seams to know his stuff and I don't see why he would add a bunch of things I don't need, but you never know I guess. He stated in his estimate that the roller bearings, washers, and needle bearings all failed.

If I can get Sea Doo to at least acknowledge that the original repair was not done properly, that would give me somthing to use against the original dealer.

Thanks for looking MSRXP and speeder.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information