+1

How do I fix this?

I was running about 68 today on flat water when my RXP suddenly acted like it sucked up a stick. I stopped and was able to shake whatever was caught loose and I headed back to the trailer to make sure I didn't cause any more damage. When I got it home I noticed the piece of plastic in the picture below was caught in the back of the pump. At first I thought that one of the fins in the pump support may have broken off but they were all intact. The grate did not move and nothing was broken on it so I thought maybe I had just sucked something up. It wasn't until after looking at the pictures that I took of the pump that I noticed what was broken. It's kind of blurry in the picture, but a section of the pump support closest to the grate was broken off and had gone though the pump. I have a Riva grate that I modified to work with the R&D girdle kit and that didn't budge, but it appears that water was somehow able to get between the grate and the pump support and tore it apart. It was a tight fit when I installed it and I even put a little Permatex ultra black where the two pieces met for extra protection. What am I going to need to do to fix this and how can I prevent that from happening again?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3535.JPG 
Views:	71 
Size:	148.0 KB 
ID:	254279   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3559.JPG 
Views:	66 
Size:	194.1 KB 
ID:	254280   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3576.JPG 
Views:	84 
Size:	103.0 KB 
ID:	254281   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3556.JPG 
Views:	63 
Size:	191.4 KB 
ID:	254282   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3537.JPG 
Views:	124 
Size:	229.2 KB 
ID:	254283   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3517.JPG 
Views:	77 
Size:	140.0 KB 
ID:	254284  

+1
    From the pictures you posted it looks like the pump shoe needs to be replaced. That's a PITA job. Get yourself a Speed Freeks pump shoe protector when you replace it

+1
    yep the only way to fix it is to replace it. Good luck replacing the pump shoe heard it sucks

+1
    It's not that bad if done correctly. It's just time consuming. But it definitely needs to be replaced.

+1
    That's what I thought. I've read a lot about what a pain it is to replace that. Would this be something that would be worth spending a little extra money and taking somewhere to fix or is it manageable to do myself. I'm not afraid of a little hard work if it means taking my time, but I could do without a couple of hours of nothing but frustration. Thanks for the advise about Speed Freeks pump shoe protector. I wish I saw that when I installed the Riva grate and the R&D girdle!

+1
    Ive replaced mine twice most people... were aggravated with removing silicone after rideplate and pumpshoe I bought a copper brush that fits in drill to get it off made task way easier and scuffs surface for good adhesion for more silicone...... btw I pulled mine off with a winch

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Sturm215 View Post
    Ive replaced mine twice most people... were aggravated with removing silicone after rideplate and pumpshoe I bought a copper brush that fits in drill to get it off made task way easier and scuffs surface for good adhesion for more silicone...... btw I pulled mine off with a winch
    I agree with that..... The silicon is a pain in the ass to remove. It takes a good amount of time and a razor or two.... Mine took about 3 hours to get the hull prepped for a new insert..... I would recommend either 3M 5200 or 'The Right Stuff'. You will need around 3 cans of TRS and 3 Large Tubes of 5200.... Crucial part is getting every space covered that needs to be covered and fully at that. The goal is to get a pure mating surface with no air, hence why you should cover completely. Shim the new insert JUST AS YOU FOUND the old one. Unless you plan on getting an alignment tool. I to used the wench method. It makes it easier in the long run. I pulled at the top right bolt and then made a crossing pattern. It pulled loose after no time. Good luck bro!

Thread Information