Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Angry 2001 Yamaha GP800 Starter Removal!! Killing me, help appreciated!!

Hi All,

My jetski recently started making 2 clicks when I press the start button, I replaced the battery and performed the starter relay screwdriver test and it still wouldn't turn over. So I narrowed it down to the starter itself.

I purchased a replacement and then realized where the starter is located on the jetski, the very bottom left of the engine. Nooo. At this point I've removed the positive lead, and the two rear bolts (not the long ones that hold the starter together but the two on the very rear) including the ground.

The starter wiggles just a tiny bit but won't come out. I literally spent 15 minutes tugging on this thing and then 5 minutes with a screwdriver against the front by the spinner hammering it - trying to force it back.

Is there anything else holding the starter in, is it possible to remove it like this? I'm worried there won't be enough clearance behind the starter to back out the spinner even if I can get it loose. Removing the whole engine sounds crazy though.

I did hook up the new starter to a ground and the positive lead and watched it spin away when I pressed the start button on ski. So I should be good to go once I get the new starter in.

Please help with any tips you have!

There's an "idler" gear assy in there that the starter turns... the only thing between these two should be an "o" ring around the starter i think. (Part #9 on the OEM microfische) I'd try some penetrating lube and patience..... if that doesn't get it then maybe pulling some of the exhaust components to get better access to it.

I'm not the expert though.... I've got different ski's. Good Luck!

+1
    sometimes they just get stuck and end up break the front of the housing off into the cases.....always fun

But you need to go around where the starter meets the cases and evenly pry back. It should come loose it is just tight and the oring really makes it tuff sometimes.

Most of them that have been in there a long time and never removed are a pain to get out, you have to wiggle and pry at the same time

Thanks for the replies, I picked up some PB-16 penetrating lube today! Hopefully it will help. Can anyone link me to the microfiche? I can't seem to locate the starter on the Rivaracing one I looked at. Thanks

Two hours tonight hammering, wiggling, prying, lubricating this starter and no luck. It wiggles a bit more and may have moved back 1/4th of an inch or so but it's hard to say. This is crazy lol. Any other suggestions, please let me know!

+1
    the starter on my gxsltd is a pain in ass as well. but it will come out if you keep working it buddy

+1
    Pull the pipes and the manifold. Only way you will get it out if its that difficult. Dont waste anymore time.

+1
    Did you verify that the engine itself isn't locked up... or the pump, for that matter?

Quote Originally Posted by crashhard View Post
    Pull the pipes and the manifold. Only way you will get it out if its that difficult. Dont waste anymore time.
    +1

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information